• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boats Per Capita

The Star Tribune had some stats and Minnesota is on top per capita with 16.6 boats per 100 people. I showed my wife that and told hr we should bump the number up, I want to get a boat. But it may be 4 5 years with 2 toddlers running around. I Know its not true but my wife adamitly disagreed. I dont know vry many people you know. She said of the 16 people 10 of you make over $100,000. No specifics but Please Prove my wife wrong.

I'd say more like 6 or 8 out of the 16 make 100,000+. It's not really that much of a stretch to have a household income of 100+ now days, depending greatly on where you live of course.

Not at the $100,000 mark and I have a boat, an older one but what the heck if floats tongue.gif

My wife & I are blessed with nice jobs, but if you saw my boat you wouldn't know it. It's not the money or the boat, it's the people in your life.

Its all what you want and what you believe in... I still dont make 50K a year and own a bass boat. It(my boat and my fishing) has been a big priority in my life for quite some time now.

You dont need to drop the bank on a boat, I have never owned a new boat.. but I have owned quite a few new to me boats... I started with an inner tube and just kept trading up to the 186PDC Triton which will probably be for sale at the end of the year to trade up once again.

Between me and bro, we have 6 registered boats. Add in a few more duck boats (could be registered, but we only use them in duck season, and two of the registered boats are smaller "duck" boats, 12' and 14') and our fleet is about 9 or 10. Neither of us is above $100k, but our boats aren't brand new either (errr, one duck boat is, heh, but don't tell my wife..).

Family is first priority, and as others have said, you don't need that shiny new bass or walleye rig to have a fun time in a "paid for" boat! Trading up is the name of the game, and you gotta start somwhere. Ours was a 50's vintage crestliner my Dad got from our Grandpa.

Keeping that "Boat per Capita" up smile.gif Heck, I could use one more Carsten's Puddler! Though we don't register them... maybe we should wink.gif

I got my S14 Lund from my dad, who got it from my grandpa. Like the others have said, its not whats in the bank, its whats in the heart. If you look around you can find a decent aluminum boat in the 16-17 foot range used from the 90s for a pretty good price. You don't need a new boat, just one that floats. Check out some of the modifications guys have done in the boats and motors forum and you might come up with some great ideas. Of course, time in a boat will tell you what you want and need in yours and then you work to make sure you can get those things. Its a big learning process.

Family is first right now you need diapers right. Thats why I've been working on my Fishhouse for 4 yrs. But I did get it out last year. And when I buy a boat I hope to spend around $10K 10 to 15 yrs or older. I dont think that would go over well even if we had less bills to upgrade every 4 yrs W/ $3K and work up its not a car its unnecessary Just a TOY, Fun. But I do want something shes comfortable in with a 10+ mph wind.

Yes you are correct. Family is always first and diapers are a close second. I have a little boy and children are far more important than fishing anyday. One good easy way to get on the water just for a day of enjoyment if you can not afford to buy a boat is to rent one. Many places will rent them daily, weekend, week, and have decent rates to get you out there. That is another option. But yes, the little ones will always come first. I can't wait til my boy is just a bit bigger so I can take him out in the boat. He got to play with some fish this weekend and had a good time with them. Great to see the smile on his face when the bluegill popped its little mouth closed on the end of his finger. At first he pulled away, then went right back for more.

As others have said, trading up is the name of the game. Watch the ads in the spring, you can pick up a 16 foot boat, trailer, and 25-40 HP motor for less than 3 grand. Use it for a couple years, fish bass and panfish with the wife and kids to get them hooked on fishing, then think about upgrading.

By the way, I make less than 100 grand and have a 16 foot Alumacraft with a 50 HP Johnson, both made in about 1992. Some day before I retire I'd like to upgrade to a wider/new boat with a 4 stroke but right now I have all the boat that I need.

If you REALLY want a boat, put in your homework.

Search Craig's List, search E-bay, search the For Sale Forums here at FM, search the trading magazines, check out boats on the shoulder of the road. Most importantly, buy in the fall! smile.gif

I'm still in shock as to some of the deals that come along at these places. With the way the economy is right now, its not too hard to find a motivated seller looking for some extra cash to pay down debt.

IMO... 5K will buy you a lot of used boat these days.

Market your new boat idea as "Family Fun". Tell her about all of the wonderful times your family can have out on the lake.

I work two jobs and don't make near the 100k. The closest I'll come to six figures is the the price of my house. I started out with a '75 runabout speedboat and traded that in for my 2000 pro team. With so many used boats around, you don't have to break the bank to get what you are looking for. Taking the family out boating/recreating adds to the memories.

I did not make over $50k when I bought my boat new 3-4 yrs ago. Traded my old used boat on it. Only way that I stay sane is being able to get out on the water and chillax...

Daze Off

Another option for you is what I have done since buying my first boat... Take on a partner to go in on half the boat. I started with a friend of mine, then when I moved back to Minnesota I went in with my dad on a boat and now I share a boat with my brother. It is not that I can't afford my own boat but what I find is that you are going fishing with them anyway so why not split the costs (storage, insurance, new boat costs, maintenance, etc.). This might allow you to have a better boat than you can currently afford also. It works for me but some people might not agree with this concept especially if you don't have the right partner. Also if you find a scratch in the boat you can always blame your partner/brother....

Yeah...of those 'boats per capita', I would guess that a majority of those boats cost less than $5000 for their current owner. Probably less.

You don't need to be wealthy to enjoy the sport of fishing.

MN leads the nation in boats per capita. That means we have a lot of water and we enjoy it.

ANYONE can own a boat! Seriously... you can buy a 14' or 16' foot OLD aluminum Lund (easy to fix up and repaint) for less than $1000 and with some more elbow grease.. and then for less than another $1000 put in a carpeted deck with storage... new sonar.. and a new bow mounted trolling motor.. I did it with mine and it is awesome.

The ONLY pricey item is the main motor... I went for a 15hp (new) Johnson and it was $2000+.... that stank... but there are used motors for much less.

So really... if one finds and old 16' crappy aluminum Lund boat (and fix it up well with elbow grease), then a 1980s era working motor... add the deck, new sonar, new bow trolling motor... you could be out there with a GREAT first fishing boat for less than perhaps $3000 total.

craigslist is a great place for the boat and motor... and btw we don't make 100K...

I would say there can't be more than 1 in 10 make $100K or more in reality. Sure there are a lot of huge homes out there.. and it seems more for a boater since we are always seeing metro lake shoreline ($$$)... but just look at the overwhelming number of basic typical homes that are out there in the bulk of the twin cities.

Yeah...my first boat was one of those old Crestliner faded sea-green aluminum boats...14', with a 15-year old, 15 HP motor. It was on what seemed to be a homemade trailer. Cost me all of $900.

Bench seats, no floor...nothing fancy about this. No livewell - had a stringer over the side. But, it floated and we caught fish out of it.

I was hardly wealthy at the time. But, it was enough to make me one of the 'capita' with a boat.

You can get a decent 14 foot aluminum boat with good motor and trailer for around $2500 if you are patient and follow the ads.

I just bought my first boat this summer, and I'm a college student (so that should take care of the 100k question). I picked up a 1970's glastron trihull with a trailer and a 50hp motor for $600. My fiance is happy because its more than just a fishing boat, but I fish out of it all the time, so it works all around. Craigslist is awesome for finding great deals, and I definately agree with looking for them in the fall, lots of people looking to get rid of their boat before they have to figure out where to store it for the winter!

I was in IL this july and was kinda surprised to see some boats in peoples yards. There is no place to use them except for a couple of rivers and Lake Michigan. I wonder where they ranked on the list.

I know a few couples who make over 100k, but that is combined husband and wives. Maybe if you are one of the people who make over 100k you know a lot of people who make over 100k so it evens out for us that don't. Meaning a person making 100k knows another 15 people that make that. People in similar income brackets may tend to associate with each other more. My wife and I combined are under 100k for sure and I have a 16 ft fishing boat along with the bills of a 8 month old daughter. Daycare, diapers, clothing and food sure add up fast. Of course when the boat gets paid off I will want a new one.

When I was a freshman in college(1997) I really wanted a boat and did a lot of research and found a deal on an $800 1987 Alumacraft Lunker with a 35hp motor. I did a lot of work on it, mostly elbow grease and not a lot of $$ into the upgrades. I ended up selling it for $2300 two years later. Then I bought a 1992 Alumacraft Competitor with a 60hp motor. I had to pay a little to boot, but still didn't have to take out a loan and I was in college doing basically summer jobs. I did a ton of work on that one too and ended up selling it for a more than I paid after using it for a couple years. I sold the Alumacraft because I wanted to get a bass boat. I found a steal of a deal on one down in Missouri and took a gamble and went down with my wife and bought it. I now have a pretty nice 19ft bass boat with a 150hp motor and I don't owe a dime on it and actually could sell it for quite a bit more than I paid for it. All from that original $800 investment basically. If you are willing to put in work and do a lot of searching, everyone can afford some type of boat to start out with. I have found that I caught just as many fish and had just as much fun in my 14ft aluminum boat as I do in my 19ft fiberglass. It is just a little faster and more comfortable now. I personally would never hold out for a hold out for a big dollar boat when there are a lot of great deals out there that can get you on the water to enjoy all these great lakes we have in MN.

ross -

the bills for a daughter (or a kid for that matter) never end - I am at the other end of the spectrum - daughter leaving for college - can buy a LOT of diapers for one year of tuition and room and board LOL.

At least when she is not in the house she can't "pick" my wallet...<g>

I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade the boat and still help her through college (without much luck I might add).

Daze Off

Hey Daze,

I am a stepdad of a early 30's daughter, and let me tell you, in some respects those college days were cheap... heh. They never stop being expensive! However, I will add, that "helping" them out is not always the best way to truly help them. Lesson learned here.

Now the grandkids, that is another story. They are fun to spend money on! My 7 year old Granddaughters favorite b-day present was the tackle box my wife and I gave her, compelte with all the goodies! Wow, that was fun, and now she teases her older brother cause she has "cool" stuff smile.gif

As mentioned, it can be done. Three years ago I bought a 70's 14' Alumacraft & old trailer w/ 4.5 Evinrude for $800.00 off of Ebay. It worked but was bit underpowered and the trailer left wasn't the most reliable but it got me out fishing.

Next year I bought a stripped down 16' Starcraft for $100 on craigslist. Was planning on rebuilding it but never got around to it.

This spring I sold the project boat for $275, sold the 4.5 for $400, & sold the boat and trailer for $750 (trailer has issues but the new owner just wanted a boat to leave at their cabin anyways) - all done off on craigslist.

Went right back to craigslist and bought a bigger 70's Starcraft 14' boat with a brand new trailer for $800 and found a 1988 Evinrude 9.9 in mint condition for $600. I'm set for a few years at least until we have kids and did it all for a net investment of $875 and only had to leave the house twice, everyone else came to me.

Yeah, it took a little wheeling and dealing but to be honest the whole process was kind of fun. My wife thought I was kind of nuts, said it sounded like I was running a used car lot for a couple of weeks but in the end it all worked out.

I haven't cracked the $100,000 mark yet and I own a boat. I have a 1973, 16' faded green aluminum Crestliner with a 1972 25 hp Johnson outboard. I bought the boat with the trailer, motor, trolling motor, and depth finder for $800 three years ago. It was a great find and the motor runs great.

I could afford a lot more boat, but I don't want to. I probably won't upgrade until it sinks.