Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IndyEFI500

USB pin out

12 posts in this topic

This is probably more for the super geeks. Does anyone know the pin out on a USB connector/cable. A local store with a bullseye logo has a USB light for $2.50. It has three LED's in it. I am thinking it would be a great ice hole light. I might go back an get another just to tear apart and try it. It has a flexible neck and even an on/off switch. Probably not very waterproof but what the heck.

If you build computers and/or you have a manual for a new motherboard they sometimes show the pin out for usb connectors. Also some of the motherbaard mnftrs have manuals to view on their sites.or google usb.

USB_Type_A_Connector.gif

Pin 1 - Vbus (5V)

Pin 2 - Data (-)

Pin 3 - Data (+)

Pin 4 - Gnd

From that diagram, assuming the black parts are the slots that must meet together, plug pin 1 goes to receptacle pin 4? Is that correct?

If so, when you state the pin number usage, is that for the plug or receptacle?

Sorry if I'm incorrect and the black sections do not indicate the slot portions of the plug/receptacle. Just looking for clarification.

Black parts are the plastic insert to assure alignment.

Pin 1 on plug goes to pin 1 on connector since you will have to turn it 180 deg from picture view.

It cannot be that pin 1 goes to pin 4 or it would short the system.

Valv is correct. The view shown is looking straight at the plug and socket. When you "rotate" the plug from it's view in that picture to insert it into the socket, the pins will line up 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4.

The black part is that wafer inside the connector to prevent you from plugging the cable in upside down.

So could a person run 6 of those off a 5v battery? Or off a 12v battery with a voltage restricter to limit it to 5v or something of that sort? I have 6 holes in my house I need to light up.

Its called a page view,left side page 11 right side page 12 close the book and you got it! shocked.gif

Its a light so the data pins are doing nothing and the polarity won't matter.

Google Super Bright LEDs and you can buy them individually.

I have and old cell phone with a few spare batteries.

I was going to make a portable LED light using the phone case and batteries. Should last forever and its rechargeable.

I believe the polarity does matter, it is not a normal light, it is an LED [Light Emitting Diode] A diode only allows current flow in one direction so if you hook it up backwards nothing will happen in which case you need to switch your leads around.

Bandit, your right.

It depends on the LED. In most, the polarity DOES mater. I think i remember playing with one a couple years ago that would be a different color when hooked up different ways, but yours in most likely not that type.