Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckslayer18

smallies

8 posts in this topic

heading up to kab on the 4th through 11, and just woundering where would be a good place to start for some smallmouth. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks

Duckslayer18

Rainy Lake

Kab and Namakan both have great populations of Smallies. 8-15 ft weed edges. Play the wind to your advantage. X Raps or your standard lindy rig will work tipped with a leech. With the live bait rig you also have a good chance of catching walleyes also.

Lake Kabetogama, sunday.

Caught on spinner baits (slow retrieval) casting into windy sides of rock piles...and holy crap was it windy.

My 9 year old.

kab3.jpg

ME.

kab1.jpg

Nice smallies! I'll be heading to Crane in the third week of August, Saturday through Saturday. We'll be hitting Mukooda for largemouth for two days, but will be in Crane the rest of the time, as we're staying on Bear Island. So, I'd love some advice -- short of drawing me a map of your hot spot, of course -- on finding active smallmouth in late August. I know how to find the little guys hanging near the rocks and cover near shore, but after reading this forum all summer, I've gotten the impression that the big guys (and the numbers) are in the deep water, especially in the dog days. I've got a entry-level Garmin fish finder and new drop-shot gear, just need to know where to use them (i.e. how deep, and what kind of patterns should I look for on the screen, etc.?) I've been coming to the area since I was a kid (I'm 35) and it's so great to "meet" on this forum so many people who love the area like I do! My Grandpa and Grandma Huff used to live in the Narrows.

Nice footballs. Will be up there next thurs. the 16th on Nam. Looks like there hittin good. Are leeches working? It will be fun gettin out.

Looks like you were off of wood duck and bittersweet or maybe three sisters by cemetary?

I dont know the lake that well by names, but I believe I was in between Sugarbush and Harris.