Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mgreseth

Christmas Lake Trout

7 posts in this topic

I was going to check out x-mas lake in the next week for trout. Has anyone had any luck for trout out there this year. If so what works well out there. Fly's or trolling small raps? Any ideas would help. I am going out with my young nephue and he has been dying to catch a trout.

From what i hear about christmas trout, you would probably be better off taking your nephew to one of the designated trout lakes around the metro.

If you really want to get a kid into trout this time of year, take him to a stream in SE Minnesota. In the lakes and ponds the trout will be deep and not easy to catch. In SE MN, however, you could cast pieces of worm with splitshot and catch many fish, most of which you can see.

Was out there a couple weeks ago...no trout....if you don't mind catching other species it would be an ok option...

If you're looking for a trout lake with a nice species back up, try square lake. There's lots of nice bass and Northerns in there, too, as well as sunnies and crappies.

never fished it, but we built a house one it. Rumor has it the water is very clear, disk readings up to 19 feet, so the fish may spook easily. Just standing on the dock i couldn't believe how clear it is. Couldn't tell ya bout midsummer weed growth though, if it effects the clarity out there as much as other lakes or not.

it is very clear. the only lakes that I've seen that are clearer are in Northern canada. Very nice lake though.