• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sand Point

Any reports out there? Taking a trip next weekend up there and would be interested in how people are catching fish this time of year.

Thanks.

I'll be up there too this coming weekend. Nobody wants to give away their secret spots. wink.gif I'll be in Grassy bay for most of my fishing. My Brother has a cabin in Crane and says he's been hitting them consistantly in Sandpoint and Little Vermilion, but he fishes the Canadian side almost exclusively of both lakes so I can't go to his spots. If you see a 16' Green Crestliner with a 50HP Yamaha stop by for a chat. smile.gif Good luck!

Thanks Johnny,

I too will not be venturing to the other side, so it will be US only. I was more interested in HOW people are catching them now. I cerainly wouldn't tell anyone, nor want anyone to tell me of their hotspots.

I'll post a report after the trip.

Had a group just get back. They said fishing was slow but the black fly bite was great! Each day left new welts of happiness all over their ankles.

Good Luck

If you're a bass man, you'd do well to portage your gear into Mukooda and fish the weed lines on the far side (opposite the portage and camping sites) of the lake between the islands; also the reed beds north of those islands. I've discovered the wonders of wacky-rigged Senkos this summer and can't wait to try them on the largemouth in there when we come up the third week of August. You used to be able to portage your own canoe or small boat in there, but now -- because of the spiny water flea infestation -- you have to rent from a resort one of the six or so boats previously stationed over there. The reasoning being that that the boats already there (which are chained up; the resorts give you a key and a plug) are not infested, but a boat portaged from Crane/Sand Point might be. Still, it's worth the $30 or so to rent a boat in there, because the water is crystal clear and the bass, in the last 5 years or so, have been hungry and plentiful. It's pretty much my favorite lake. I've never fished it at night, so I'm contemplating bringing a tent and sleeping bags and getting the full use of the 24-hour boat rental. Anyone have any Up North largemouth night-fishing hints? The Mukooda portage dock is in a bay off of Sand Point, located southwest of the Candian Trading Post/Customs Office.