Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LABS4ME

trolling report

4 posts in this topic

Fishing during the morning hours with live bait rigs has slowed down over the last few weeks, with occassional mornings of success, so we have focused mainly on trolling in the evening/ night hours (9-11 pm) as of late. Trolling on any of the shallow flats (5-9') at night with Shad Raps or Shallow Shad Raps has been very good. Best speed has been 2.2 mph. The best colors have been Clown, Blue Chrome, Cartruese over white and firetiger. My son has even been using a Firetiger jointed floater trolled 110' behing the boat and having success...

DSCF0241.jpg

Just don't get too excited about your catch when you get back to the dock at night or you may take an unscheduled bath! grin.gif

Over Saturday and Sunday night we boated 13 walleye, 1 perch (11") and 1 rockie, in just 3 1/2 total hours of trolling. We had at least another half dozen get off after the hook up. We released all but 2, my son really wanted a walleye lunch! grin.gif Many of the fish we are catching are in the 9-13" range... the next few years look to be very good. The occassional over 20" fish still available. I believe we boated one each of the last 4 times we've went out (all released). The previous weekend we boated 17 walleye and released 11 of those. We sent a limit of 15"-17"ers home with a family I took out fishing to enjoy for dinner.

This is one of the least used weapons in your walleye arsenal. The beauty is you can cover a lot of water increasing your chance to find active fish. Many times guys are afraid to get up shallow to chase down walleye in the middle of summer, but they do indeed come up shallow to feed.

If your coming to Cass or if your lake has a flat or slowly tapering sand or gravel shoreline or long point in which you can set-up a trolling run, give it a shot. We even toll Shad Raps occassionally in the early evening outside the weedline in 12-16' of water, to catch the ones that are staging for their shallow water forays. Pick a crank that will run 9-12' down and watch you sonar to stay on the outside edge of the weeds and as the sun settles on the horizon move up on top of the flat and set up with floaters or SSR's to finish the evening.

Good Luck!

Ken

Fantastic report Ken. The pic is great. Before I read-on, I wondered if maybe it wasn't about 1000 degrees and he was just sweatin'???? And he sure knows how to hold 'em so he don't get scraped by those sharp teeth.

Thank you again. My imagination is running wild now!

Nice report! Your son's shirt is awesome, where did you score that!

It's from Totem Lodge on LOW.

Fishing was much slower tonight... same spot, 3 small walleye released (one in 2.5' of water) and 2 lost hook-ups and a couple world class rockies grin.gif... The moon was very late to rise and the lake was BLACK! Much different than last weeks full moon.

Lots of big walleyes caught this week... and unfortunatley mmany didn't make it. I know of a 29.5" kept that wouldn't revive, and a 28.5" that wouldn't revive and a 27" that wouldn't revive. The guys said they were getting them in 36-40' of water. Surface temps are running around 80...

Good Luck!

Ken