Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Zumbro lake...need help

7 posts in this topic

Our church is having a retreat this weekend, and I just found out it is on Zumbro lake. Checked out the dnr and discovered there are some good fishing opportunities there. Fortunately, I can rent a canoe at the camp. I brought gear for panfish and bass, pike, etc. Not asking for specific locations, but what kind of depth, structure can I find some fish? In all liklihood I would be canoing along the shoreline; what species can I find along the shore? What types of presentations work best for that lake?

Thanks in advance!

You'll find everything you're looking for if you putz up and down the shoreline of the high banks. Steep drop off along there the whole ways.

Like dan said you will find most everything you are looking for along the shorelines. Look for some kind of submerged wood, which isn't too hard to find btw, and you should find fish. Lately we have found that tipping with live bait like waxies and crawlers have helped increase the amount of fish caught. Also the bigger gills and crappies have been caught a little deeper lately, so if you would happen to have some kind of hand held sonar or something similar, that would definately help you in your quest. Good luck!

Good info, thanks guys!

I have had my best sucess lately with mini mites tipped with a waxie or a small peice of crawler.

I got some paddletails, which is like a Mini-Mite. Also have some small hair jigs which really work well without meat. BTW, when fishing for the gills and crappies are they off the break over deeper water then? Or are they shallower?

I've had pretty decent luck by free lining a 1/32 ounce jig and plastic. Stay about 20 feet away from shore and cast right up to the edge of the water and slowly bring it back. The slow fall on a tight line has worked good.

Also another good tactic is a bobber set at about three feet. Small bobber and a small jig with a bit of crawler or waxie. That presentation has caught me crappie, bass, gill, cats and even northerns.

Early morning and later in the evening is best. Pleasure crafts are pretty thick during the day.