Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbros

word on carp

10 posts in this topic

WE are new and are trying to get into carp fishing more and like would to know what use, where some good places are smile.gif

A quick, dirty, and productive place is Silver Lake. The best action I've personally had was in the far East bays not far from the stone arch bridges. You don't need to toss it out very far from shore. 10-15' should get you fish.

I've heard good things about the are just below the dam in Oronoco. I've fished it once and only caught a few dinks, but I could see it's potential. Just above in Lake Shady would be another place that's full of carp, but I've never tried it.

Welcome to Rochester. Maybe some evening coming up I'll try to put something together and anybody that is interested can meetup and chase some carp.

Try the downstream side of the dam in Oronoco or fish the Zumbro. I just use a gob of worms or a ball of bread on a hook and put a bell sinker about a foot above the hook. Cast it out and let it sit. You will be guaranteed a carp, but if you use worms you will more than likely catch cats as well. Carp are mainly in the shallow water and you can usually see them swimming around.

First let me say welcom to the family!

This is a great place to get info. This is just my two bits, but i noticed you are from rochester, so a great place to start would be silver lake! close to home and packed with carp,suckers, and much more! I prefer a medium-medium heavy gear,as thy will put up one heck of a good fight! I'm not a huge fan of mono line, so i would recomend a braided line in the 10 to 20 pound test. power pro is my favorite, but spider wire is a close second. Use a number 6-8 size hook, and enough weight to keep your bait in place on the bottom. My favorite 2 baits for carp are whole kernel sweet corn in a can, and night crawlers. there are many others how ever. I would recomend scanning through this forum and read up on some of the other posts. Tyler Holm has posted some good reports on carp fishing in the area as well. good luck! and hang on tight! cool.gif

wow thanks u guys for the input, we should have a gathering sometime for carp

For spots around here I'd try Silver Lake or Lake Zumbro. I think at Silver Lake has a lot more, but I hear of more big carp coming out of Lake Zumbro. I haven't fished Lake Zumbro for carp myself It's hard to beat canned corn on the bottom with a slip sinker rig. Throw out a couple handfulls first, then pack as many as you can on the hook and toss that on top of the corn you threw out. It sometimes helps to add some strawberry jello mix to the corn. Also, I've found that carp at silver lake get used to people feeding the geese bread, and the carp LOVE eating it off the surface. Go just to the left of that dock where they rent paddleboats and throw out a bunch of cheap bread or ceareal (the hard part here is keeping the ducks away grin.gif). Just wait 10-15 minutes and soon there will be a swarm of 3-10 carp there eating (by now the ducks are scared and swimming away laugh.gif). Now pack a ball of bread on your hook and VERY GRNTLY and QUIETLY, swing your hook a foot away from the biggest carp and wait for the carp to take it. Be sure to set your drag loosely before you go! All you need is a hook and some bread for fishing this way. My biggest is 10.5 lbs, but I've seen bigger. Good luck; let us know how you do. wink.gif

LOL, I just found out that 4 people posted while I was typing my post (I'm kinda slow). blush.gifgrin.gif As for a carp gathering, I'm all for it. laugh.gif

Last year we had a 1st annual event out there. Click Here for details I envision this year being similiar

should do that again this year if you havent already