Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Down2Earth

GSP wanting nothing to do with water

7 posts in this topic

My buddy just got a 2 yr old GSP. We went out to the lake today and my GSP was swimming all over. But my buddies dog wanted nothing to do with it. He would throw out the dummy that his dog retrieves all the time and my dog would have to go get it. He even went out into the water and called his dog. the dog would only go in as far so she was still standing. We did everything but throw her in. Any ideas?

I have never had this problem with my springers, but here is an idea. Take your dog out with you in the water and keep holding it until your dogs becomes comfortable with the water. Then let it swim a little ways and hold it again. I would think that it with become comfortable and gain confidence.

PoleBender

Tom,

Thanks for the advice. My buddy John did this and he ended up with scratches on his legs and chest. That dog was scared something bad. I was laughing my but off afterwords at him.

Yep, if you go swimming with a dog, don't let them get close to you! I've even seen accomplished swimmers scratch up their Master!

Good Luck!

Ken

I think this is gonna take some time. Of course, the GSP is really not a water dog to begin with - yes, I KNOW they go in and out all the time etc. Something has scared hell out of the dog so go slowly. Let him hang out with that other dog more. Play in the water close to shore and get him to play shallow. Work toys (if you must) and dummies etc. next to shore and in shallow. I think this can be done, but don't go fast and don't be too hard on the dog-this really isn't his bag. I'll bet he comes around. But for $%^$#@ sake DON'T let anybody THROW him in the water! shocked.gif

have you tried live birds?

get some pigeons or something and give that a try.

The area you are trying, does it have a slow drop off? Steep drop offs made it hard for my dog at first. We frequently did shallow water work where is was 1-2ft deep all over and did retrieving in these shallows area and very SLOWY increased water depth.

My gsp was hesitant at first but live birds helped and now I cant get him out of the water.

It just takes time. Good luck

That sounds like a good idea and I'll pass on the info.