• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was going to, It will be on the same weekend as last year. I'll call you today.

I have no report for you, Orlip, but I plan on being out of Silver Bay on the weekend of 8/25 and/or 9/1.

When will you be up, in case we can compare notes on the water?

Orlip, The fish are going well just call me and we will get them smirk.gif.

ripstick and i and deb will be out in the am and we will post what we did smirk.gif.

Tom, Appreciate a post on how you did. Our boat has been out of the water for a few weeks with some renovations and hope to get it back in tomorrow. We are thinking heading to SB if the weather holds up. Thx

Went out 2 harbors sat for the day. Picked up a few coho couple of kings and lake trout by the time we came in we had the lake to our own.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to launch at Silver Bay in the morning ,,,should be able to post a report before the holiday weekend ,,,Im hoping for a mix of lakers and salmon as I will be sharing my boat with a guy from Texas ( I dont think they have lake trout or salmon in Texas)

We will be putting in at SB in the morning as well. Probably won't be able to get there until 8 or so. We will be in a red 2100 lund fisherman. We did get a few down deep this evening in front of the pump house. Good luck!

Ill be looking forward to your reports guys. Rip and I will be up there Sat/Sun giving it a shot.

Rumor is Glow Spoons are hot up there. Glows are always "HOT" though when they sel for $6 plus a piece. wink.gif

Launched out of Silver Bay at sunrise today,,,,didnt take long to find the lakers but couldnt buy a salmon today,,,did chat with a charter capt who picked up one coho and one king but he also commented that this was his worst outing for salmon this season and suggested going up the shore to Taconite Harbor if I wanted some salmon ,,,food for thought (no pun intended)

Good Luck if I dont see you on the water

Randy

Randy how deep were ya and what colors were goin? You should get a partner and come up Sat. It would be great if we could get 3 or 4 boats to work together on this thing.

Steve

Purlpe glow and sutton spoons got most of the fish ,,,all the fish were caught on a break in 60-70 fow coming out of 110 ft using dipsys with 100 ft of line out ( 3 fish in the area are swiming around with my spoons in their mouth )

I will be up there sat ,,hope to see you there

Randy

We got a late start but dropped lines in SB at 8:30 and fished until 11:30 going 3/6....2 lakers and 1 coho all coming 60-75 down. Temp was 48 at 70 down. We then drove down to Twin Points but the low water level, rocks, and wind made us nervous about launching so proceeded to go to Two Harbors, grab a late lunch and dropped lines again. Fished 2:30-4:30 and went 4/5...3 lakers and 1 more coho. All fish came on bottom except the coho. At 2 Harbors we were fishing 100-120 depths on bottom with spoons. Temp was 48 at 95 down. The action was really good and wish we could have stayed longer but had to get back. Interestingly, of the 7 fish caught, 5 came on SWR rigs. Irrespective of catching fish, beautiful day to be out there. If your after salmon, I would go further north. If lake trout, I think the fishing is plenty good around the pump house without having to drive so far north. We did quite well Friday night right in front on the pump house. Same thing...everything off of bottom.

thanks for the reports guys.

Bill I know you fish KFM alot. Whats the deepest you have caught a laker down there? I seem to set everything in the top 100 fow but I see guys jigging in 200-250 fow. Makes me think I need to set some deeper. Tough to know where to set lines when your in 650 fow and your not marking fish.

I haven't fished Knife much this year with all the work being done on the boat but have caught them suspended 100-175 on many occaisions. I do know some catch them deeper but I haven't targeted those depths (i:e 200+). Most everyone probably already does this but for me the past few years I have learned how to better use my graph to find fish. Part of it was just learning how to better use my graph. As the fish move deeper in the summer, I almost always look for fish on the graph and underwater temp as my starting points, and that has improved my catch rate. Right now, between Duluth and Two Harbors the fish I am graphing on the north shore have been consistently in the 80-140 depth ranges, depending upon the day, prevailing wind currents, water temp,etc. Further north, the optimal temps were not as deep and that was reflected in the fish we graphed and caught in SB.

Hey Ran I can feel ya man. Many times I have been off of the knife and have not marked a thing in that range. I hear of guys hitting them out there, but I have had my best luck close to the island or between Larsmont and Twin-Ponds where it is not a billion feet deep. I have also done well going fairly close to shore going the opposite way back towards Stony Point. BC

Well we, Loonasea, Ripstick and myself, hit Silver Bay landing, wich is a very nice facility, at about 7am yesterday. Got out for a very bouncy ride and turned around and sat at the dock for a few hours hoping the wind would settle. No luck. Loonasea went home and Ripstick and I went into town for breakfast.

After B-fast we went and said Hi to Rips dad and went to a rummage sale we heard had some nice fishing items. Man did we get lucky on this one. Between me and Rip we bought 2 Diawa Sealine LCR's with rods, 1 Okuma Line counter with rod and a baitcaster and rod for a total of $90 I think it was! That there made it a good trip to me. tongue.gif

Anyhow back to fishin. Hit the lake at 1pm and it was a much better ride. We trolled for about 25 minutes and Rip had a nice 4# Lake on a rigger set at 50' down just before the discharge from the steel plant. Glow flame thrower took that one. We trolled for about 5 more hours and didnt lay the hook into another fish. Couple releases but that was it.

Another boat in town told us we stopped our northern troll about 1/2 mile to soon. They had caught 15 lakers from where we stopped (north of the caves) all the way up a few miles. frown.gif Oh well thats fishin a body of water you dont know at all. Sad part was what these guys caught there fish on was what we had ran quite a bit. confused.gif By the way if you guys are reading this Welcome to FM!

Oh well it was still a fun trip and the views are beautiful on that part of the north shore and the pizza wasnt bad either. Ill be back again thats for sure.

Pics hopefully to come.

Ya Shiner it was about 6:45am one day and 9:30 am the other when we rolled by. Believe me I was tempted. I still have a few Growlers in the fridge though. I may have to pop a Stout tonight.

Where the heck ya been. Cheffrey slave driven again? grin.gif

Quote:

Cheffrey slave driven again?

As always! Have not been out nearly as much as I had hoped this year and now I'm getting ready for bow season. Looks like I'll see you on the hard water!

Nice reports

While you guys were at SB, my family and I spent the weekend up at the Lambs Resort campground, and put in a few times at Taconite Harbor.

With the bumpy water, I managed to get all four of my kids to throw up - and to make sure I don't get blamed for child abuse, most of the stomach disturbance happened while we were trolling on our way back to the landing.

Got out for three hours of trolling later in the afternoon on 9/1. Went 5/5 with all lakers. Here's that report:

All lakers in 350 to 400 feet of water.

First laker hit a blue thunder spoon 130 out on a #3 setting on a dipsey - 4 lbs

Second laker hit a silver dodger/fly/smelt down 82 feet and it ran like crazy. Half hour later it came up with a hook in its butt - reeled in completely by my 8 year old - 35.5 inches - 16 lbs - got great pics of it being released

Third laker hit a blue milje spoon down 72 feet - 36.5 inches and a bit over 17 lbs. Took off straight down as soon as I released it - cool

Fourth laker hit the dodger/fly/smelt set up - 4 lbs

Fifth laker hit an orange crush spoon, below two colors, and on a walleye board - 3 lbs

That's all the time we had on the water, otherwise I would have kept fishing, as we were marking them everywhere.