• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

...and so is the late summer shallow water 'eye bite I have been waiting for all year. My 2-week "break" from fishing 'eyes ended today and I got right back on track in a big way. grin.gif

I hit the water late this afternoon and evening with a friend of mine (FM - Gerty) and we came out firin'. I focused the entire outing on stretches of gravel and rock both adjacent to deep and shallow water with sharp and sloped breaks and there was definitely a clear winner in the end. Short stretches of gravel with mild cover mixed in on breaks that dropped from 1' to 6' were holding most, if not all, of the fish we caught today. It turned out to be a great multi-species outing with just about every species under the sun with the exception of a northern. We threw the tackle box at them but a #5 shallow runnin' Shad Rap ruled the roost. The best color was baby shad but black and white was not far behind.

If the bite is "just" taking shape, we are in for a real treat for the month of August and into September.

Enjoy a few photos of a couple of our better fish.

Boat-side collision. smirk.gif

dogdays001su9.jpg

20+" animal. laugh.gif

dogdays002fy1.jpg

Jamison - Thanks again for getting me out. It was a lot of fun. When they hit it, they sure smack it hard! Hopefully we can get out again soon.

I noticed you mentioned "multiple species" instead of talking about that nice sheepshead that smacked your crank bait! shocked.gifgrin.gif.Oops, sorry, did I actually write that down. wink.gif

T.O. were you on Madison last night? I thought I seen you flying by but am not sure. I was in a white Alumacraft Navigator with a 115 yamy on it. We had a pretty tough time finding fish out there last night.

Oh yeah, a nice sheephead, a 9.75" 'gill and a handful of 10+" crappies. grin.gif

I didn't hardly see another boat last night. I coudn't believe it.

Otter,

I see you talking about Salmo lures alot I have a couple of hornets and have had pretty good success with them. But I can't seem to find them any where but cabelas. I've checked gander, scheels, and reel fishing. Do you know of an easier way to find these.

I know a site online you can buy them.Cabelas is the only other place i have been able to find them.The site is a baitstore in northern Mn.They have different colors then cabelas.Cabelas online has limited colors.Email me if you would like the site addy. [email protected]

Are sheephead good to eat. I can't seem to remember what they are. I guess that is what comes with old age.

Never tried one. I'm sure someone thinks they're good but my guess is that it wouldn't be me. grin.gif

My brother says they are not bad; the only thing is you have to cut the blood line or mud line out of them other wise the taste really bad. He's been telling me to try them but no thanks. I'll stick to the crappie that i've been catching on Madison. Still haven't found many eyes. One here and one there, thats about it. Still waiting to catch Otter out there so i can follow him to the eyes.

Reeds in Walker has a ton of Salmo products. They do an online business too....

You might want to try Scheels in Mankato for the Hornets. They have a whole rack full of them and in different sizes. Just saw them yesterday so I know they're still there.

Hi guys, im taking my bro to Madison on sunday. We gona be shore fishing at that one bridge...with the platforms...any advice on what to use for bass/walleye? or we s.o.l there?

thanks for any response!

#5 or #7 shallow runnin' Shad Raps or mid-size stick baits.

I spent an hour on Madison Lake this weekend during the middle of the day and the shallow water chasing schools of shad bite is on.

Thanks! I forgot to ask where in your area can you purchase them? We do not have those colors in our area.

Reel Fishing and Tackle in Madison Lake, MN or some of the larger options would be Gander Mountain or Scheel's in Mankato, MN.

Had a pretty decent morning by the bray bridge sunday at Madison. Crappies were too easy with float and minnows. Caught a pretty nice size white bass...or at least i think it was a white bass...i'll upload a picture later.

I also hooked some monster... First time, it hit my crankbait...pulled about 50 yards of line and ran behind some rocks and got away.. Second time hit a minnow and i ddin't even have a chance, cause i was using my med spinning gear. I couldn't even get this fish to surface. Too big, too strong confused.gif

anyways Thanks Jamison! Used what you suggested and had the best fight of my life.

For all you fisherman that are interested in more info in regards to this subject, click on this link for a podcast with Chris Haley about this same subject. Jamison has given out some great info and you may also learn more from Chris.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1125993&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Great information to go with a great topic. Thanks for putting that Podcast up here HL.