• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bridge Collapse

I appreciate your point of view regarding my "opinion" and once again like I said, no offense were taken.

I'm not "disagreeing" with you, I never said this was not a tragedy nor made any attempt to deny such an event. Sometimes it helps to broaden your horizons and receive from another's point-of-view rather than stand firm on one's subjective view and outcast all other views that may seem too complex or in your case "irrational."

There's no more need for explanations, the level of comprehension does not match the level of education.

Opinions are always welcome in this country and in this forum, but you think you could be a little more sensitive to the families involved in this tradgedy???? Maybe one of the people on this forum were directly affected by this horrific event.

I appreciate everyones opinion, except for when your words can hurt or upset someone whos already been through alot with dealing with this terrible event. Would you say the same type of crap to someone who has lost a son,daughter,grandchild,cousin,nephew, to the war in Iraq, or any war for that matter.

Once again I appreciate free speech or "opinions",but the stupidity of some people is absolutely amazing to me.You should be ashamed of yourself for blaming a "Higher Power" for the unfortunate situation, and you should also try to show some compassion.

This event was certainly unfortunate. But I don't believe the cable guy is going to convince me that it was anything other than "crud happens" that was behind it.

It only reinforces the fact that all life is fragile. Humans have developed technology that allows us to live beyond our means. Our bodies are not meant to handle the forces that are at play in cars, planes, trains, etc.

Tragedies will happen. It is unfortunately a simple fact of risk versus cost. Considering the fact that bridges don't collapse very often, I think there are good practices in place in terms of design and inspection.

I put this tragedy in line with the 9/11 events. Is it really worth spending billions of dollars to only reduce the risk a small amount. A few more inspections could have prevented this event, but are you all willing to spend the extra money on fuel taxes, etc. to pay for it when the likelihood of an accident will only be reduced a fraction of a percent.

Did we really provide the public with any useful reduction in risk by "improving" airport security. The terrorists used box cutters to hi-jack those planes. The public awareness of the indidents was more than enough to prevent a similar situation from occuring in the future. I would like to see a couple of guys try to hijack a plane in a similar fashion today with the same tools. It isn't going to happen. But the government tells us that the skies are safer because of the increased spending on airport security. I don't think so.

I am getting off topic.

My point is that this event was a tragedy. It wasn't some wierd form of evolution.

Should the country spend another couple billion dollars to replace any and all bridges that are "questionable" because of one failure.

I think our economy is in enough trouble from the last batch of overreacting.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and this was very unfortunate.....

We all need to remember that we live in a world where our lives depend on technology. With the advantages that technology brings, there will always be a risk of that technology failing. It is a small risk. But no matter how much money we spend to reduce that risk, it will never be zero.

Quote:

the level of comprehension does not match the level of education.

Yeah, and you sound very educated. Did you go to Harvard or Yale to learn your "Higher power/ Darwinism combo" theory? You are just installing cable until you finish up your PhD in International law. I think you've been sniffing the model airplane glue a little too much!

And why is it that every yahoo can hack out an opinion but it is forbidden for anyone else to have an opinion? I guess it is ok to have in opinion under the following conditions:

1. You are the first to share an opinion and therefore are not conflicting with anyone else's opinion.

2. You agree with said first opinion.

I think that the difference is drawn between stating opinions and attacking other's positions. A more respectful way to disagree with someone (especially online) is to say, I don't quite agree with you and here is what I think... As you can see this thread has already broken down into personal attacks.

For whatever reason, everyone takes things a lot more personally when it's typed online versus being argued face to face in a bar. We should all feel free to express opinions, and expect to be challenged but not condemned.

I still think that Gremlins could have had a role.

Or Gypsy Moths

Or the Jumping Asian Carp could have hit the bridge.

Quote:

Get this!

I was told yesterday by a good friend of mine that the 35w Bridge was caused by either one of two of things.

1) Aliens flew into bridge and a very very high speed, during their water getting routine!

2) Russians have a high frequency satellite, which shot down some sort of radio waves and made bridge collapse. They also, have very high deff. Photo’s of site

He states this is why you have not seen live aerial footage above bridge since last thurs... Also this is why secret service, FBI and now the navy are involved.

If you ever have seen "Men In Black", this is kind of what he is saying.

Also I know police are arresting people who go into crime area (obvious reason's), but picture vantage points are to a major minimum and he also said people are getting their camera’s and video recorders taken away by police and FBI.

Conspiracy theory? Big Brother? The unknown?

The only credit I can give to this source is he is down their every day (works blocks from site), his personal experiences and what T.V. has to offer.

Now that had to be the most stupid post that I have ever seen on the internet. What were you thinking when you typed this one up. Oh, you were not thinking, I see! confused.gif

I believe in the trinity & that Jesus gave his life so that I could be recieved by God even though I am a lowly sinner.

Having accepted Christ as my Lord & Savior I know that He has made a place for those that have called Him Master that perished in the collaspsed bridge accident.

Having said that I pray that their families will be covered with God's grace and that their pain from the loss can be eased in Jesus name..amen

Now those of you whom are blaming others for poor opinions need to be supportive.

Who are you to say anything?

Are you so blind to not see that everyone cares about what has happened.

Do you think that it helps to be accusitory & character defaming?

We all and I mean all have a purpose in life.

How about we try to uplift our neighbor?

Should that fail ..go fishing!Maybe the spirit of God will enter you.

It all starts with a willingness to hear His voice.

That's just my .02 cents worth.

Oh,Jesus was the ultimate fisherman,I wish I could be more like Him!

Quote:

Now those of you whom are blaming others for poor opinions need to be supportive.

Who are you to say anything?

Ok, CK I will say you have your opinion thats great. Now I do not believe that joking about a heart breaking tragedy is the thing to do. That is my opinion. If you guys want to do it go ahead and hack away. I just going to steer away from this post and let you guys have your fun or what ever you call it. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I know people deal with tough issues differently.

Some laugh & some cry.

It's not up to me to decide what's appropriate.

I can only support those that need it & I'm willing to open my life to others if it would serve any good purpose.

I've re read the posts and in all fairness I can not be responsible with what was said.

It does not matter what I think about with others comments.

I can only be responsible for myself and it's not a job I want in chastising others.We all live in glass houses so who amoung us is ready to cast the 1st stone?

Judge thee lest you be judged!

I just hope this place can be supportive to the issue at hand.

Hunting4walleyes,

All joking aside, my posts were serious. No matter what you take of them, they are an opinion. They might not be mine, but they are what a good friend had speculated very seriously. The only reason I brought it up, was because this thread was on a topic about the different ways that could have caused the bridge to collapse. I also found it a little funny about how tight the area is and the secret service and FBI all around it. This did not make sense, but struck a cord in my mind. Again, I am not trying to offend anyone. I started a post about this in the Cat Fish area and expressed my concern for fellow fisherman that could of been down their and prayers and thoughts of others.

With all this aside, go on and argue! Sorry!

P.S.

If a thread in this forum effects you that bad, I would take your own advice. Good luck!

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a problem about people complaining about traffic. I just think they should at least wait until all the victims are removed from the river. It is a tragedy everyone has to deal with. What good are you going to do by complaining about traffic? I think that is on the bottom of the list of bad things that are going to come from this. I am sorry if I sound like a a$$ but I had a relative involved with this incident.

Dude, sorry if I offended you. I meant no harm in my comments. Just blind to my own insensitivities... confused.gif

I am the one who posted and this thread went downhill from there. I really meant what I said here! Like CK said, I am I am the worst of sinners, forgiven by what Christ has done on the cross. I deserve Hell, but the Holy and just Lord has forgiven me. That being said, if God can forgive me for my infinite transgressions against Him, then we ought to forgive others when they sin against us (Matthew 18:21-35). I would all like to point out the we are ALL hypocrites, every single person on the planet, because we all point fingers, yet we are guilty of the very same things we point fingers for (John 8:1-12). Really, who hasn't said or done something they later regretted? I would just ask for a measure of humility on behalf of others who are blaming and dealing harshly with others because the Lord will judge them with the same standadd they harshly judged others (Matthew 7:1-2). These things are not my personal opinion, but principles from the very Word of God.

I was last night with Dude.

Picture145.jpg

The night before & the night & the night before ect.....

When we talk about life & death ...God is part of that,for me anyway.

CK,

Is your buddy named Kevin? He looks very familure.

Sorry, the Kevin I knew I would doubt be married (I.E. the ring on fingure). Still I could be wrong.

Nope,that's Rick R.Used to live in Elk River about 9 years ago.

Now he's my neighbor & fishing/hunting bud.

I grew up and lived in ER at that time. I also worked in area for long periods of time. I know I have meet him before, even the name rings bells now.

Small world!

Quote:

Although the ring is on his middle finger...
smirk.gif

Look again. its on his ring ringer.

so i went down to the stone arch bridge today there is still alot of peaple going down there even though you cant see much.i guess i dont know exactly how i feel about the levity that some have exibited on this thread.i understand that none of it was meant with ill intentions,but being that i used to use that bridge alot,and with 3 kids in the back seat i have to wonder what would have happened had i been on the bridge,so its hard for me to find any silver lining.i'll tell ya i went over the bridge about a week and a half before it fell and it just didnt seem right so i had been taking 10th ave since.what a horrible tragedy i cant believe more were not lost and i prey and grieve with those who lost someone or and for those who made it out safe.i can only imagine the nightmares.i have them and i wasnt on it.fdr

I caught a glimpse of the top parts of the wreckage today while passing over 35 on 4th st. I still can hardly believe it happened....