Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbros

Hows the fishing

37 posts in this topic

I am newbie to this and this is my first post Me and my freind plan on coming up this weekend and were wondering what the fishing is like now(northern, bass, musky, what are u usin, where, etc). I am newbie to this and this is my first post smile.gif .

Fishinbros,

Welcome to FM amd the Vermilion forum!

I do not fish for the fish you are asking about, but have heard that they are biting well.

The walleye bite is very good this week.

Cliff

wow thanks for the input, we have a 6 hour drive up and it is nice to know that i am going to catch fish when we get up there

FishinBros - sounds like the smallies continue to be on a tear. I'd pick up bags of senkos along with some packs of gamakatsu finesse wide gap hooks, size 2/0.

Rig them 'wacky' style, i.e. put the hook right thru the middle of the senko.

4" senko in pumpkinseed was our best color when we were up there earlier. Toss towards docks, downed trees, big boulders, etc. and hang on. Bullrushes are also good as crayfish should be hanging around which brings the smallies in there.

Find the good piece of structure along a shoreline and that's where they should be.

Have fun, the V is great.

DB

I disagree with hooking directly through the senko unless you want to flush money directly down the toilet.

Use an o-ring and put the hook between the o-ring and the senko. You can re-use it OVER and OVER and OVER.

When you are catching 40-60 fish a day and losing countless more, then this will save u a TON of cash.

senko002.jpg

senko001.jpg

Quote:

I use an o-ring and put the hook between the o-ring and the senko. You can re-use it OVER and OVER and OVER.

Great idea & photos - what size o-ring do you use? Any tricks or tips on getting the o-ring in place?

that looks like a great idea ill have to try it out this weekend "thanks" shocked.gif

Very interesting rig! cool.gif Looks like a great idea!

Cliff

almost looks like if a big enough fish gets a hold of it, it'll will get cut in half confused.gif

Frankly I think the O ring is a horrible idea particularly since it saves the fisherman a ton of cash...what about the poor bait dealers???? These ideas HAVE TO STOP. Actually that looks like it works well. What size O ring are you using?

I dont know what size o ring it is. but here is an ebay link to the ones i bought.

LINK

It has a tool pictured on the page also. I just spread the o-ring out with needlenose pliers and pull the senko through. Them o-rings are really firm and tight, I almost never have fish pull them out of the o-rings. Its nice to sometimes be able to catch 20 fish on the same senko!

we need to know where the musky are at / what are they hitting the most grin.gif

Lake of the Woods

fished the reefs in big bay the past three days and did really well in 16 to 24 foot depths. Today was really windy and the bite slowed this morning by 8:00 a.m. Yesterday was calm and the bite was off and on all day. Lindy rigs with whole crawlers are the best bet.

SledNeck,

I am interested in trying out your rig. Where on the Range are you finding Senko's. I can't seem to find them in Hibbing at my regular spots that I buy tackle.

cabelas.com 5"

I find 4 inch work better. must be bigger bass on east end.

Lake Vermilion Trading Company in Cook has all the Senko's you need.

Doug

Quote:

I find 4 inch work better. must be bigger bass on east end.

seems to be the general consensus.

must be the rusty crayfish. Sort of a mixed blessing.

Thanks for the info guys.

Instead of buying the o-rings and tool to put them on just go to your local hardware store and purchase the smallest zip ties (3-4") they sell and give those a try. Black or better yet red really work well and are easier to put on. Plus they are cheap.

We have Senko's at Vermilion Fuel and Food in Tower. If you let me know a particular style or color you want I can normally get them in a couple of days.

ive been pounding the fish on the west end very well....lots of slot fish and great keepers....one drawback....the craws are showing up in droves....doing my best to kill them...but they are up there for sure.....

what are u using? any report for pelican?