Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patrat78

7 Deer per person

17 posts in this topic

Can a person shoot seven deer this year if they huint the early anterless season in october or do those count as the five you allowed over the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Can a person shoot seven deer this year if they huint the early anterless season in october or do those count as the five you allowed over the season?


Yes, you can take 7 with EA hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lcornice, what about special archery hunts. If I'm in a lottery area and use by either/or tag early on a doe, can I still take a buck in a special city hunt that's in a managed area? How do tags work in special city hunts like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

lcornice, what about special archery hunts. If I'm in a lottery area and use by either/or tag early on a doe, can I still take a buck in a special city hunt that's in a managed area? How do tags work in special city hunts like this.


Yes. City hunts are treated as something outside the greater permit area. So, if you're hunting say the New Ulm archery hunt and take a doe, you can still take a buck in the lottery permit area. However, if you take 1 buck anywhere you're done on boys since the statewide limit is one. You actually don't get special tags from the cities. They typically give you an authorization to hunt and you use the state licenses and permits.

I hope that answers the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also kind of unclear about the city hunt, and I'll be doing one in a month and a half. I was under the impression that there was no limit in the city unless the specific area you are hunting has a specific one (mine does--5). I understand that only one deer in the state can be a Buck, but I assume that with both a Archery and a Firearms license I can shoot 5 does in the metro, then 1 buck and 4 does up north in my intensive harvest area. Not that I will, but isn't that the legal limit in this kind of a situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

I'm also kind of unclear about the city hunt, and I'll be doing one in a month and a half. I was under the impression that there was no limit in the city unless the specific area you are hunting has a specific one (mine does--5). I understand that only one deer in the state can be a Buck, but I assume that with both a Archery and a Firearms license I can shoot 5 does in the metro, then 1 buck and 4 does up north in my intensive harvest area. Not that I will, but isn't that the legal limit in this kind of a situation?


Page 66 of the 2007 hunting synopsis goes over the bag limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, fundamentally, does shot in the metro (601) do not count towards the 5 deer statewide limit. Page 66 states:

STATEWIDE BAG LIMITS FOR DEER

• An individual hunter may only tag one legal buck per year, without

exception.

• In lottery deer areas, only one deer can be tagged per year, without

exception.

• In managed and intensive deer areas, hunters may tag deer on both

their firearms (including muzzleloader) and archery deer licenses.

• The cumulative bag limit for an individual hunter in the archery, regular

firearms, and muzzleloader season is five deer. Exceptions to the

five deer limit are:

- the early antlerless season where two additional deer may be taken.

- deer area 601 (metro deer management zone) and the bovine TB

special area, (deer area 101) which have no limit.

- landowners can take one additional antlerless deer if they have a

free landowner license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lcornice, thanks. I guess my basic question is, if I wanted to take my first archery deer in a lottery area, I would have to use my either sex tag as no bonus permits are allowed. And since my either sex tag is then gone. No buck allowed in the city hunt, which is in a different area that is managed, because I'd only be able to use bonus permits then. I think you pretty much affirmed that. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

lcornice, thanks. I guess my basic question is, if I wanted to take my first archery deer in a lottery area, I would have to use my either sex tag as no bonus permits are allowed. And since my either sex tag is then gone. No buck allowed in the city hunt, which is in a different area that is managed, because I'd only be able to use bonus permits then. I think you pretty much affirmed that. Thanks.


Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Can a person shoot seven deer this year if they huint the early anterless season in october or do those count as the five you allowed over the season?


Is there any need to shoot 7 deer anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're living off the land and not eating in unless you're killing it like Ted Nugent! lol. In a joking mood today. BTW, I bet Ted eats beef. But he might shoot it himself. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Is there any need to shoot 7 deer anyway?


Well, I myself ate about 4 full deer this year. I have a Mother, Father, Sister, and friends that ask me for venison every year. I will try to make everyone happy and shoot 7 deer this year.

Is their a NEED? I believe most consider food a necessity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donation programs are also a great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can eat 1-2 myself, and I have 3 other people who want me to shoot one for them. Also, I plan to donate to Second Harvest Food Bank (which I'll pay for & per DNR rules) so if I'm a good enough hunter there will be at least 7 deer that don't go to waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with it if you use them up, but for some to shoot 7 is just a goal, then to throw it all away or whine and complain that they cant just give it away unless its done from a meat market, thats when I see the issues, and trust me there are those people out there, and you know who you are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust me, there are those of us who can eat 7 deer. Me and my sons shot 4 deer last year, carved them up ourselves and never even gave away one chop. I was out of venison by June and I am really craving a big fat juicy veni steak on the grill right now. I could eat venison 3 days a week. I agree there are those that shoot 7 just because they can, but I will shot them to manage the herd and put dinner on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DITO NOVA except that I shot 5 deer, my wife and two kids love the sweet taste of venison and Ive propally got enough for two meals and one package of brats left. after tonight one meal left : grin.gif cant wait for deer season to begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0