Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbabe

Big Sandy

8 posts in this topic

I will be up there for the first time this weekend only, and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give me any pointers on where to fish for (catch/release) Walleye or Crappie? I am thinking that Northerns are almost a given. Thanks for all your help!! How about any good restaurants in the area?

Best Burger around McGregor? Check it out on this site..you can do a search.

With the weather the past few weeks, fishing should be good. Walleyes are every where, but you will have to fight for them. I would start on the main lake. Find your self a food shelf (sunken island, exposed island, point, bar etc..), focus on the windward edge at the first drop off. That depth could be anywhere from six to fifteen feet. The key for me is present the bait slow. Although I do sugest you move around the lake fast. Don't spend all day fishing one school of fish. In my experiance you will only catch one or two fish on each spot, before the rest of them get lock jaw.

I'll be up there also this weekend. Fri - Sunday am. Where are you staying? I will be at the corps campground on the N end.

I'd be happy to show you a few spots.

Don't be afraid to fish more shallow than you would on other lakes. Plenty of walleyes have been caught in six feet in the middle of the day when it was dead calm on that lake. I have never had much luck at night. The water is very stained.

Did OK this past weekend. Found smaller eyes in Sandy. Made it to Aitkin, and did very well. Huge gills, a few decent pike and bass. Red hooks and leeches.

But did you find a good place to eat?

Mike and Katie has the best steak on the lake.