Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainydaze

Are we getting Spoiled?

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Had a nice converstion with uffda yesterday at the Tilson access. Boy the fishing here on Rainy has been so good I often wonder if we have forgotten that fisheries at times have the bite slow a bit. Sand Bay has slowed a bit as of late as many of you have found out first hand. That doesn't mean there aren't fish to be caught, but does mean that you may work a bit harder. You bet the bite on the East end continues to be strong. Things like the drawn out mayfly hatch or the rapid warming of the waters could have some effect on the fishing. That just goes to show that what worked in the past or yesterday for that matter will not always come through the next day. Sometimes your fishing on Plan B,C,D, or F. Change up and often think outside the box. As I've always said there are weed walleyes and reef walleyes. There are walleyes that will stay shallow until January. Only to be pushed out by lack of oxygen in the water. This especially holds true for lakes that have current like Rainy. Not all walleyes will gravitate to the reefs. If that pattern is not going get out of there! Go chase some fish shallow! First off there is little competition in close. Second off these fish often times are easier to fish because of the simple fact that you can fish them in so many different methods. Make no question about the fact that the fish will soon turn back on here on nearby reefs and humps in the Sand bay area. The fish are there, and maybe just having a stomache ache from all the "hors de voures" in mayflys. I'm marking piles of them exactly where the "should" be. I had a group out a couple days ago, and fished right on top of them in 30-35 feet of water. I mean a pile of eyes on the grapth. Only Managed to pull 7 walleyes out on those humps. Scratched our heads and headed in shallow finding much more cooperative moods. Thats why you have to love fishing though! Good Fishing guys! Once you've determined you have figured out the bite it will change for ya! Anybody looking forward to hard ice fishing yet! I am after melting in the boat these past few days.

RD

Spoiled? Maybe, but I like to think of you Rainy Lake guys more as fortunate and privaleged. smirk.gif Spoiled is a little too provocative of a word. smirk.gif

I think we're spoiled, privileged and fortunate. We're spoiled when we don't find fishing as easy as last year; privileged to be able to make a living up here fortunate because we have fishing options and opportunities (not to mention all the other outdoor pursuits) that would exhaust several lifetimes.

Ever notice that when we don't catch fish we have to find a reason or excuse? Too wet, dry, hot, cold, windy, calm, too much bait, too many small fish, too many big fish, too much water, too many reefs, water is too murky or too clear - and that's just a start. It rarely has much to do with something as simple as ignorance -:)

Call it what you will....all I know is that I envy you guys up there! grin.gif

But, I made my reservation at LaBelle's for next year just the other day, so I'm stoked! cool.gif

Thats funny Uffda! Note to self "Add too much Bait" to probably list of exuses for when fishing is slow. Surely we're always at the top of our game! Ha!

RD

Hey Uffda how are you? You know what I always tell my clients about mayflies, perch minnow hatchs, cold fronts, to hot, to cold, east winds, etc...they are just excuses we guides need grin.gifin reality ol' marble eyes never stops eating...just slows a bit sometime and makes us work a little harder mad.gif