Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
npsmokefan

Fishing and camping with kids

3 posts in this topic

We are coming up Thursday morning and plan to do some fishing and camping with young kids. Any infor on current fishing would be great. Sometimes the kids attention doesn't last long if I spend to much time locating fish. My plan is fish reefs with leeches or crawlers on rigs. Maybe some slip bobber fishing if we can locate a spot holding numbers. This will be their first trip to Rainy and are very excited to finally be able to come with. Any tips on how the eyes generally react to weather fronts this time of year on Rainy. Sounds like tomorrow night one might be coming through the state. Thanks in advance for any infor.

Doug

Go Smoke #20

HI DOUG,

WELCOME TO RAINY LAKE FORUM. FISHING WITH KIDS...AS I HAVE SAID NUMEROUS TIMES ON FISHING MN...THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY TO FISH WITH KIDS & INEXPERIENCED FISHERMAN...ANCHOR...ANCHOR...ANCHOR...28 LB. ANCHOR OR A LIGHTWEIGHT RIVER ANCHOR & 130 FOOT ROPE...ANYTHING THAT WILL KEEP YOU FROM DRIFTING. IF YOUR FISHING EAST OF THE BRULE...ASSUMING YOU ARE, CHECK OUT THE REEFS 3O TO 50'...FIND 3 GOOD MARKS...WHERE THERE ARE 3, MOST LIKELY THERE ARE ALOT MORE. GO INTO THE WIND, JUDGING THE AMOUNT OF ROPE YOU HAVE FROM THE DISTANCE TO YOUR MARKER...I LIKE TO DRIFT ON & OFF THE EDGE OF THE REEF USING A JIG & A MINNOW OR A 18" LINDY WITH SPLIT SHOT OR AS LIGHT AS WEIGHT AS I CAN GET BY WITH, THE SHORT LEADER ALLOWS ME TO PICK UP THE WEIGHT OFF THE BOTTOM & DETECT THE BITE RIGHT AWAY. SLIP BOBBERS WORK, BUT HAVE TENDENCY TO DRIFT, JIGS & LINDYS DON'T. IF YOU REALLY LOVE TO FISH & DON'T WANT TO SPOIL YOUR OWN FISHING, ANCHORING WOULD BE MY ONLY CHOICE. BRING GAME BOYS, LOTS OF LIQUIDS & PILLOWS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Doug, I live up here and try to take my kids out and it is very hard to keep them interested. If you do it like FM says that is the best way. Unfortunately walleye fishing isn't fast and furious. Hopefully your kids are more patient then mine. The wife and I took them to a crappie lake where they were jumping in the boat and they still lost interest. I do bring lots of things for the kids to do and lots of snacks. Their gets to be that breaking point though when they say they have had enough it is time to go in. I hope you have a good trip and the kids will want to keep coming back. Email me nordy1@firehousezone.com Smoke is really kickin some butt. It is about time.