• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catin Around Pictures

I’ve spend several hours over the past two weeks on various bodies of water in and around Rochester (and some not so close). Over the past 2 weeks we’ve put several dozen channel cats in the boat and on shore and here are a few of the highlights.

7-8lbs

andya_cat1.jpg

6lbs

freddie_cat1.jpg

6-7lbs

andy_cat.jpg

7lbs

ty_cat1.jpg

8lbs

andya_cat1.jpg

9lbs 1oz

ty_cat2.jpg

I don’t remember the exact weight for all the fish above so I put a range. All were 25” or better.

I had a guy email me and ask why I hadn't been out fishing much.. We'll I've been putting some grueling hours in on these channels (and flatheads), but really don’t have a ton to report about them except what the pictures above show. We’ve had some success, but I’m still learning on every trip. Each and every time is different; for example, we missed over catfish 20 runs this morning and caught 2 softshell (leatherback) turtles in a body of water I never knew they existed.

In addition I’ve put in several hours bullhead fishing with some decent results. Also caught a few suckers. Both bullheads and suckers were used for catfish bait. I’ve learned if you want to catch hundreds of gills, simply try for bullheads.

Panfishing has taken a back seat in the heat of the summer, but I still managed to get out at least twice in the past two weeks. The crappies and bluegills have been very cooperative for the most part on Lake Zumbro. The fish have been suspended over deeper water. Those who subscribe to the UPLR email got a decent report from my findings.

Anyways, I’ll try to be a little more current with what I’ve been chansing and how I’ve been doing it. Stay tuned and sorry for the tardy reports and the shortcomings in details.

Yes, these past two weeks have definately been fun! Lots of big fish caught and released. It is just a matter of time though before I finally get into the 40lb flathead!! grin.gif

Nice pics guys. Thanks for the report! I haven't been catfishing in quite a few years. I might have to give it a try one of these days.

Anybody interested in giving it a try Thurs early AM. I need to be to work by 10:00ish. Email me or post here if interested.

Holy Cats Batman... Those sure look like they were fun to reel in.... here kitty kitty grin.gif Are most of those from around here? I remember as a kid going cat fishing with the old man, but I don't ever remember bringing in ones that big. Way to go Guys!! cool.gif

These fish are a total blast. Screaming runs and several minute fights per fish. These are just the big ones too. Our average fish runs about 18" or so around the 2.5lb mark. Even those fish test the gear sometimes pulling out 25yards before you even get the rod out of the rod holder.

Most of my new found cat fishing is done within 30 minutes of Rochester. Chester Woods, Lake Zumbro, Zumbro River, and Root River.

Well I'm hoping that after the wedding, in Sept. things will slow down a little bit for me to get out and try some of that cat fishing. It just looks like a whole lot of fun to me!! grin.gif

Got the rods packed, the spotlight charged, and the boat loaded for catting in the morning. Man I get excited for this fishing business.

Tyler,

These are nice cats, it has been about 2 years since I went cattin, used to go on Lake Zumbro quite a bit with a couple uncles, we always did real well. last time I went I caught one that weighed just over 10 lbs, and a leatherback turtle that was hissing and i think he went about 8 lbs, but I have no boat anymore. We always went at night, and then fished for bass and panfish when it got light on the way back to the landing, great times, dang I need a boat, herein lies the problem, then i need a truck too! Thats where the wife and I are not seeing eye to eye!

Tight lines

Deano

Oh, I'm telling ya! This cattin is a hoot. What really make it nice for me is that I can do it while the wife is sleeping and while I'm not suppose to be at work.

We have not broke the 10lb mark yet on the Zum, but we've been trying. Got 1 over 10 on the MN river and still trying for one on the Miss.

I caught my first leatherback on the Zum a few weeks ago (actually we caught two that day).

I'll put up a little report in the morning.

The 10lber i caught we were using fresh raw shrimp right from the meat counter at Hyvee, expensive, but seems like we always caught nice cats like 5+ lbers

Deano