Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JHays1

Navionics vs. Lakemaster Pro

8 posts in this topic

What is a better GPS map pack. Navionics Hotmaps Premium North or Lakemaster Pro Maps 2007 in general for Minnesota and more specifically Gull. I have Navionics and am wondering if it is worth the due to spring for Lakemaster.

Quote:

What is a better GPS map pack. Navionics Hotmaps Premium North or Lakemaster Pro Maps 2007 in general for Minnesota and more specifically Gull. I have Navionics and am wondering if it is worth the due to spring for Lakemaster.

I own the Lakemaster pro and really like it. What I was told, haven't been able to confirm myself, is that the lakes Navionics has in 1 foot contours were actually purchased FROM Lakemaster. What you will notice is that if you are using the Navionics chip is that you cannot zoom in as far as you can with Lakemaster. I was told this was due to the copyright deal with Lakemaster.

Like I said, I don't know this to be 100% sure, this is what I was told by the salesman at Reed's when I purchased it.

I have a lakemaster pro chip and it is awesome. I can't speak to one over the other, but I know that the Lakemaster chip is accurate and I trust that I am on the spot every time.

I believe the zoom in factor is due to the fact that Lakemaster is made by L.E.I., not due to a copyright agreement. (I could be wrong) I'm going to assume you have a Lowrance unit? L.E.I. is also the same company that makes Lowrance and Eagle electronics. Therefore, the Lakemaster chip is more compatible with these units. They'll zoom in further and they'll have a much quicker reaction time. Navionics chips will work in a wider range of electronics than Lakemaster. Again, I believe this is due to Lakemaster being made by L.E.I. The fact that Lakemaster will not work in a Humminbird is kind of a way to say...buy Lowrance, not Humminbird!

As far as the chips and which one is better? Definitely debatable. But if you're looking at just Gull Lake, I don't think you'll notice a difference in accuracy. They're both pretty much right on for most of the lake. But if you have a Lowrance or Eagle GPS, for the purpose of Gull Lake, I would go with the Lakemaster due to the factors mentioned above with the zooming capabilities and reaction time.

Aaron

Thanks dudes. I have a lowrance. Unfortunately I also have Navionics. I thought you might say that. Looks like I will have to pick up a LakeMaster

If you already have a Navionics, you'll still be happy with it. I have a Navionics in my H2O and it works great. The map for Gull is pretty much right on. Whether you go out and get a Lakemaster to take its place just depends how much the reaction time and zoom in ability is worth to you.

Aaron

Not sure about the 2007 chips the the 2006 Lakemaster chip has the entire Gull Chain and the 2006 Nav chip only had Gull.

If you update your software on the Lowrance unit, it will zoom in tighter. I just did that. Also have both Nav and Lakemaster. I might be tempted to say the Lakemaster is better choice, but my Nav is from 2004, so older than current offerings.

Good luck,