Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RK

Orwell?

4 posts in this topic

Hiya -

Thinking about taking the kids on a field trip this weekend, and heading down to Orwell. Anyone been down there lately? Fishable form shore these days?

- Thanks

Rob Kimm

Rob, I was down there last week. Flows have been dropping out of the dam;, the latest gauge reading this afternoon was down to 480cfs. The shore is definitely fishable. As a result, people think it's their god given right to leave their garbage their too mad.gif

Plenty of buffalo in the shallows. Lots of crappies and panfish as well, upstream and north of the overpass. Drum are biting well too, especially downstream of the overpass. Early morning has produced walleyes. The smallies have been pretty slow this year, though it has picked up slightly, but still pretty slow. Every once in a while you'll get picked by a hammer handle. There have been reports of some larger pike being caught. Upstream near the spillway, the bass action is better, and you'll be able to catch a few goldeyes. Good for if you need bait for the channel cats.

I have been able to catch all of the above mentioned fish with a simple 3/16 oz jig and 3" white twister tail. cranks can produce fish, and of course the veritable worm. I've caught a few fish on the fly this spring/summer as well. Everything from hare's ear nymphs to clousers.

If I get down there again before the weekend I'll give another report. My advice is to get there early AM, it's been pretty crowded there on the weekends. Beware of the gamekiller out there who will literally cast his line right under your nose from where you just retrieved, and act like it's no big deal mad.gif. When told that it wasn't cool to do be doing that, he remarked to me once that he drove 40 miles to be there (I drove about 60), and another time that "most people catch their limit of sunfish and leave". I replied that "catch and release is pretty fun too". I finally moved on before it ruined my day.

Good luck and have fun!

Hiya -

Thanks for the report Deadhead... Love to see one of my girls tie into a big buffalo smile.gif They've never fished cats before either so that might be something new. Might even bring the fly rod. One of my girls is getting into it a little.

I know what you mean about the garbage. Man that gets irritating. We might bring some garbage bags and do a little public service clean-up while we're there.

Casting over your line? Sounds like steelhead fishing... There's one in every crowd...

Thanks again for the report.

Hi Robb,

We were up there last Monday evening and had a great time with a bunch of different species. Cranks were typically the bait of choice. Walleyes, goldeyes, cats, smallies, redhorse, even a decent white bass were all caught. Should be a great time for your family to have fun action.

It is true that there is lots of garbage around there. Could spend a whole day collecting it.

Good luck!

MJ