• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 blade or 4 blade

Mark Christianson

I am going to try some Muzzy's this year.

I want to go with 100 grain.

3 blade ones are 1 3/16" cutting diameter.

4 blade ones are 1" cutting diameter.

Lets hear your thoughts. What one, and why?

I've only got a few years under my archery belt, so I would go for the three blade set-up. I would want to know which broadhead (three or four) flew the best, and with one less blade I would vote on the three.I used one muzzy (3 blade 100 grain) last year, and it did the job. I had used thunderheads before that with excellent results as well.

Hey BLB,

I would go for the bigger cutting diameter and the 3 blades.

I guess I figure with 4 blades you are just cutting more in a smaller area. Just my $.02 worth.

Arrow flight is much more important than broadhead choice. Try shooting some of your buddies heads. Three blades should fly the best. If flight problems are experienced, you may want to try a more radical fletch. I shoot Quick Spin with my broadheads (Thunderheads 125) with great results. Hope this helps.

I've also not heard anything good about the Muzzy-4. I'm sure there are people out there that have had great luck with them, but firsthand, I've talked to 3 different people who tried them and didn't like them.

I've used the Magnus Stinger 4-blade and the G5 Striker. Both are cut on contact heads. I've killed deer witht he stingers and so has a friend of mine. I tried the G5's last year and loved them. I haven't shot a deer with one yet, but they fly amazing and they are a well built head. Very sharp out of the box and easy to maintain.

The reason I asked is because I would have thought that the 4 blade with the smaller diameter might have less resistance while in flight(smaller diameter of blades to catch air), and hence maybe be more accurate.

Sounds pretty clear so far that the 3 blade would be the head of choice. Thanks, and any other opinions welcome.

i shot a three blade for years also. remember; the four blade may be smaller in dia. .but you stil have more blade surface with the four than a three. del

Hey BLB, if you haven't tried the slick tricks 4 blades you are missing out. there is no difference between my field tips and broadheads and they have a 1 1/8 inch cut. i have seen lots of pics of blood trails from these heads and it is almost sick. i hope to post some of those pics myself in a few weeks.

HEY BIGLAKE Here is my .02 I have a buddy that used to shoot muzzy's and started having issues with them and believe me this guy has shot more broadheads than anybody I have ever known as far as brands and styles go. Two years ago he started shooting the 4 blade Wasp Boss 100gr and he showed me they fly great minimal tuning required and very good broadhead he shot a monster 9pt in wisconsin last year and nicked a branch and buried the head in the front part of the spine and dropped him in his tracks he later pulled the broadhead out with a vise-grip and the blades were all straight and a few nicks not one broken blade keep in mind the shot was 22yds and he shoots a 06 Tribute and he likes a very heavy arrow his arrows are 12.1 grain per inch and another good head is the G-5 Montecs they are awesome last year I got some from my cousin and practiced with them and I shot two of them at a time and they flue like 3inches left and about 2 inches low and when I shot the other one I split my other arrow at 30yds talk about accuracy and one more thing is my other cousin shot a nice eight pointer opening weekend last year and put a good hit on it they had blood for over 200 yds and it was heavy and then he just quit bleeding and they never found him he said that was the 3rd deer he lost and the other night he called me and asked me something I thought I would never hear out of his mouth and that was this Chris what kind of mechanicals should I buy I'm sick of the (Contact Us Please) muzzy's and losing deer and you seem to have good luck with mechanicals so which ones do you shoot and I answered the Rocket Wolverines 75gr or you can get them in 100gr they are called steelheads hope I can help you with your decision if you want you can PM me and I will give you more details off of here dont want to start any arguments Later Chris