Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

"Chicago-Style" Pan Fish...

8 posts in this topic

Oddly enough, I have had several requests for chasing late summer bull 'gills. This is something I don't often "dabble in", so I have had to get out of my comfort zone lately. smirk.gif Over the course of the past 2 weeks, I focused solely on pan fish and let me tell you, for quantity and quality, it has been tough to beat. About the only difference from my report titled "Change of Scenery" last week is that I have been fishing with my wife and daughter and people from Chicago, rather than customers from surrounding communities, etc. grin.gif Oh, and the location of the fish has changed just a touch too.

These past few days, the bigger 'gills have been riding right along a sand to mud transition in 4 - 6' but still remain "nose on the bottom". They have vanished from the cover and are now more into roaming in and out of the feed that is readily available to them. But, when a school comes through, you better be ready. I had 3 people in my boat today and for the better part of 90 minutes, I didn't do anything but take fish off and re-bait. Small jigs with a touch of orange tipped with a wax worm under a float has been the ticket. The school of fish I have been concentrating on are feeding on small perch, so color is very important but not as important as making sure your presentation is right on the bottom. If it's crappies you're after, they have been in the same areas but suspended off the bottom of the first break in 10' of water about 5' off the bottom. Enjoy a few recent photos of some of the better fish come to the boat. I could have taken pictures all day today. grin.gif

A smile on the faces of a mom and her son. grin.gif

hot002af7.jpg

Both of these "dirtied" up the 9.5" mark on my Hawg Trough.

hot005cw9.jpg

My wife and daughter have been a big help when it comes to scouting. smile.gif

hot004gw2.jpg

My daughter took this one "all by herself". blush.gif

hot003ad5.jpg

Back to walleye fishing mid-week. I just can't take it anymore. Ha!

I don't know if anyone has told you this in awhile, but you really give out some great information.

Thank you.

I agree, your information is awesome however there are over 10,000 lakes in Minnesota. What Lake are you catching these sunnies on?

Thanks for the compliments guys. As for the lake, the search is most of the fun but I can tell you it's in South Central MN.

T.O. i know where you were i just happened to pass you that morning on the road very close to that lake and i thought to my self i bet i will see a post on this day i was kind of hoping that you would have been fishing walleyes not sunnies i have not been out there for a while and was thinking about trying there soon so i guess i will have to figure it out the hard way im heading out there this morning

The walleye fishing was really good in there ~2 weeks ago but has since tapered to a slow crawl.

How did it go?

The walleyes did not want to play at all i found that the sheephead were active and got a nice bucketmouth when i tryed crank baits only fished for 2 1/2 hours the lake was starting to get busy so i left.

When isn't it busy... confused.gif