• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Castillo For 2 Prospects

zamboni

Ozzie, we think way to much alike. That's scary, cuz I know what I'm like cool.gif

Quote:

I understand he didn't run as well as he did when he was 25-but isn't he still consistently the Major League leader year after year in infield base hits?

Maybe in the past I haven't seen to many infield singles this year its kind of hard to beat out infield hits when you can't run very fast which is Castillo's problem right now he's past his prime at 33 and is obivously injured.

With only 14 extra base hits in 365 AB's plus 4 stolen base's that pretty much sums up how your legs are doing.

I can see him having a lot of infield hits over the years he gets the bat on the ball quite often and used to be really fast.

I expect him to break out of his 2-16 slump he is in with the Mets it takes a little while to get used to the NY atmosphere.... grin.gif

In other news, the Twins lost another hitter, Jeff Cirillo, to a waiver claim from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Quote:

Quote:

First we trade Babe rith and now this
confused.gif

I don't get it confused.gif

Just an anology I used.

Everybody is making such a big deal "WHINNING" about trading Castillo that they made it sound like he was the greatest thing since BR.

My wife is happy he is gone, and anything that makes her happy is good for me.

Only thing I think people are whining about- and I know what I think was a bad deal was the fact we coulda got more for him. Who knows- maybe the minor leaguers we got dealt to us will be great players- I just don't know right now

Quote:

Quote:

I understand he didn't run as well as he did when he was 25-but isn't he still consistently the Major League leader year after year in infield base hits?

Maybe in the past I haven't seen to many infield singles this year its kind of hard to beat out infield hits when you can't run very fast which is Castillo's problem right now he's past his prime at 33 and is obivously injured.

With only 14 extra base hits in 365 AB's plus 4 stolen base's that pretty much sums up how your legs are doing.

I can see him having a lot of infield hits over the years he gets the bat on the ball quite often and used to be really fast.

I expect him to break out of his 2-16 slump he is in with the Mets it takes a little while to get used to the NY atmosphere.... grin.gif

Not sure where to find that stat, but a couple weeks ago Castillo was leading the majors in infield hits, as hard as that may be to believe.

I guess its not that that hard believe with a 300 average and practiclly no extra base hits a lot of those must be infield hits he does hit a lot of choppers and is batting left handed for the most part so getting down the line is a little easier in spite of his legs injuries.

Guys, my point is that he ADMITTED dogging it. It is not up for debate whether he did or not, he ADMITTED IT. Now you will never, ever, classify my as a Randy Moss fan, I did NOT like the guy. But what is different from him admitting that he dogged it on certain plays and Castillo admitting it? Randy said he wanted to have fresh legs for when he ran the go route, so he took plays off that weren't coming his way. Castillo took plays off that he didnt think were gonna go his way. So my question is, why is it OK for Castillo and not OK for Moss? Please remember, they both ADMITTED doing it.

P.S. Moss is already dinged up this year! Hee hee, haha.

I'd like to actually have heard the quote and the context. I'm sure he was refering to being injured and not being able to run as fast as he would have liked so knowing that he picked his spots.

Good to see him bounce back with a 4 hit game for the Mets.

watching the game last night, he was being carried into the mets clubhouse during the game, haven't heard any updates on any injuries.

Quote:

Guys, my point is that he ADMITTED dogging it.

Good call Pier - Cody you're taking that way out of context.

Context: a game a few weeks back that the Twins won in extra innings. Hunter was marveling that Castillo led off the inning with a triple, considering that at times it appears Castillo isn't going to be able to limp to the plate. Castillo said something to the effect of when he bounces into an obvious out, he won't go full speed because he might need that extra bit of gas in the tank when he needs it. And he needed it that game.

Dogging it? Hardly. Castillo was out there playing hard when most of us would have been on the couch whining to our wives that our hammies and bums were sore. If he needed to go 90% when he was going to be out anyway so he could stay out on the field more of the time, good for him.

Quote:

Castillo said something to the effect of when he bounces into an obvious out, he won't go full speed because he might need that extra bit of gas in the tank when he needs it. And he needed it that game.

Every player in the league does this. How can it come as a shock to anyone. If you want to talk about a guy dogging it look at Bonds. If barely makes it out of the batters box on a routine groud ball or fly ball.

When you are older like Castillo you need to play smarter not harder.

"I'd like to actually have heard the quote and the context."

So would I Pier, because every game I watch, Castillo looks like he would crawl to 1B with a torn achilles if he thought he had a chance to be safe.

You got a link to this quote Cody?

It was in the strib awhile ago and I have heard the radio guys talk about it a couple of times as well. Guys, dont focus on whether he did or not, just answer the question of why it is different for him than for Moss. Remember, I am no Moss fan, and I don't hate Castillo. I thought he was a decent player. I dont necessarily think it was a bad idea to dog it. My question still remains unanswered, why is it different for him than Moss??

Easy.

Moss "plays when he wants to play". He feels like he doesn't have to put forth the effort if he doesn't feel like it, or if the play doesn't involve him intimately, or if he becomes distracted by the pretty lights.

Castillo plays hurt, play intensely, plays hard. He's on the field despite the fact that his legs & hips are smarting every day. And he's saving what he still has, in the way of speed & bursts of effort, for when they'll have the most effect.

Moss is lazy & self-centered. Castillo is hurting & competing. The reasons they aren't going 100% all the time are night & day to me.

I think as players get older they play a different kind of game it is called "Playing Smart" Everyone has played with a ball player who walks so slow that you don't know if they can make it back to the huddle but with the ball in their hands they have speed to burn. After you play a game for awhile you know when to burn it or conserve it. Castillo is that type of player, playing through injuries but you know when a play is needed he is there for you. Moss just put out the wrong vibes about dogging it. Upset a lot of people. Sorry to see Castillo leave, I think he had a real positive impact in the clubhouse but major league baseball is still a business. They want you to play like a kid but treat you like a tool.

Quote:

Moss just put out the wrong vibes about dogging it. Upset a lot of people.

Exactly!

As already well stated by Maximum. One guy gives 100% of what he can over a full season, the other guy won't.

Maybe thats why a few of us dig Punto- guy might be hitting .180 but noone plays harder defense than him.