• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Castillo For 2 Prospects

zamboni

Very very disappointed in this trade. We need bats now- not later. The only way I am ever going to say this was a good trade is if it ends up like the one we screwed the Giants on for AJ- but I don't see it happening

The Twins are out of contention this year. I have faith in Terry Ryan to make trades. I think they are shedding salary to give extensions to Santana and Morneau. Nathan might be the next to go but he has one more year left at 6 million which is cheap for a good closer. I wouldn't mind them shipping out Rincon.

I agree its hard to understand but we dont know all the facts. As already stated, Terry Ryan usually knows what they are doing for the better of the team. For a team that only spends the dollars they do, they are pretty good.

Im hoping hoping that these Mets prospects are ready for the big leagues. It is possible the Mets just didnt need them yet??? Anyway a good baseball game no matter how far out you are is still a good baseball game.

From the reports about these two, they say there is a good chance that both will make the majors. I think it is a great trade. Castillo was gone at the end of the season, why not try to get something for him now. Plus if you want to trade for more bats or whatever, the better your farm system the more options you have. grin.gif

Twins are looking to dump some money out there im guessing. Its reatarted, there pretty much giving up on the whole deal.

I like the trade. Will shake the line up and add some more youth and speed for the last part of the season. The two trade picks will head for the minors where there value will be seen down the road. As players or as players traded again. Castillo was a nice player that filled a space for the Twins, Good ball player, good guy in the club house and well liked on the down side he had a 5.5 mil contract and was not going to be coming back next year. Knees were bad and hits for average with no power. Trade off is we are now playing a 3rd basemen with some pop in his bat, we have punto at 2nd with range and another 2nd basemen with speed coming up from the minors. This allow Gardey to take Punto and give him spot duty around the infield. Cuddy coming back and White off the DL a completely different looking Twins team here for the stretch. 6 games back and two months of baseball left. This Twins team and organization never gives up. Shakes the team up, maybe that is what they have needed. Seems you play better when your job is on the line.

Trade reaks of the 2001 Lawton for Reed deal. Twins slumped their way out of first, in dire need of clutch hitting after leading the AL central by 5 games at the All-star break. Hopefully Alex Casillo proves me wrong. I can't believe teams were actually interested in Rincon. Has that guy gone an entire inning without allowing at least 2 runs to score this year? He's the guy we should have dealt.

Will be interesting to see how Castillo does with the Mets. Can anyone remember the last time Ryan made a decent trade??? My opinion is that neither Ryan nor the twins ownership care about bettering the team...they just want to be somewhat competitive and keep a lid on costs. The new ballpark will be a goldmine for the pohlads and they are not giving back (GREED)...I'm getting tired of Ryan's comments about 'we're working hard on looking at who's available'...I think its lip service.

Quote:

Can anyone remember the last time Ryan made a decent trade???

That trade he made getting rid of AJ was a pretty good one from what I have heard. Also I think the one he made to get Shannon Stewart was a pretty good steal too.

Granted I was hoping to see him make a move to get another bat in the lineup too but maybe the market was too costly to rent a player for half a season. I hate losing Castillo too because he is good at getting on base and working the count on the pitchers. Lets hope the team can make a push now and pick up another bat in the offseason.

Quote:

Quote:

sometimes it's the trades you don't make that are the most important.

Quote:

JC Romero for Alexi Casilla could end up being a pretty good deal. Lets not forget...

Twins | Casilla named organization's Minor League Player of the Year

Thu, 2 Nov 2006 06:41:25 -0800

Minnesota.Twins.MLB.com reports Minnesota Twins IF Alexi Casilla was named the Twins' Minor League Player of the Year. Casilla finished the year with a .318 batting average, 84 runs scored, 22 doubles, seven triples, one home run, 46 RBI and 50 stolen bases.

Trades are tough, Terry is theeee best GM in Baseball bar none.

Terry Ryan is resposible for the GREATEST trade in baseball history.

I agree with Pier. Terry Ryan is pretty much a genious. He has no money to work with yet still makes some fairly sweet deals.

Knoblauch for Guzman, Big Buck, and Eric Milton was a fairly nice deal.

I think the Castillo trade sucks, but it's a good move & the right move. I loved to watch the guy play. He's a real professional.

I'd have to agree that the AJ deal may have been one of the top 5 best in MLB history. He's a decent player, but we got two starting pitchers, one a potential All-Star, & an All-Star closer. What more could you expect? 3 for 1 & an almost immediate return is pretty unrealistic, but it happened. AJ for Nathan straight up, considering the circumstances, still would have been a win for us.

Quote:

Trades are tough, Terry is theeee best GM in Baseball bar none.

Terry Ryan is resposible for the GREATEST trade in baseball history.

WOW- Babe Ruth to the Yankees, Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi. The Twins-Giants trade was bad- but not as bad as these

You whining Twin fans will never have to live down Brock for Broglio though, so take a deep breath and keep your hopes up. You ain't used up your Magic Number yet you know.

Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a freight train coming your way.

Quote:

You whining Twin fans will never have to live down Brock for Broglio though, so take a deep breath and keep your hopes up. You ain't used up your Magic Number yet you know.

Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a freight train coming your way.

THATS NOTHING- Herschel Walker for like 10 draft picks leading the way to like 3 or 4 Super Bowls and the NFLs dynasty of the 90s. We know bad trades here

Quote:

Quote:

WOW- Babe Ruth to the Yankees, Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi. The Twins-Giants trade was bad- but not as bad as these

I should have clarified greatest trade in my lifetime. grin.gif

Pier,

What are you? Old enought to know better and too young to care?

Zamboni etal,

I agree with those who don't like the trade - always kind of liked Castillo and feel he is an all-around solid guy.

I suppose the Mets, leading their div, wouldn't go after a bum you know.

The funny thing about Castillo is that he ADMITTED that he dogs it on some plays and nobody says a word about it. I, for one, thought he was ok, but nothing special, and I didnt like his attitude. I seem to remember another Minnesota athlete who admitted dogging it on some plays and that got a few more headlines.

I can see being winded sometimes or disgusted/frustrated once in a great while, but I cannot stand any athlete in any sport who just goes through the motions intentionally even on only one play in a meaningless game.

yeah he dogged it all right........he dogged it when most players would have just sat on the bench. He played through pain and you can see it when he runs. The dogging it part is when he chops a one hop to the second baseman and he doesn't run at full speed. Big deal!! The guy is a warrior and seemed to be a good clubhouse guy....the type of player that teams want!!!

The twins did what they had to do, they have little chance at going anywhere this year, and alot of big contracts ending at the end of this season that they cant sign. So they did what was needed to get rid of a high dollar contract and got something for him, instead of playing him to the end of the season and then just releasing him.

I wish they would have got a strong bat and tried to contend, but they knew it was going to be along shot, with a few teams ahead of us competing for the wild card also. Like it or not it was the right thing to do.

We now have a couple aaaers that might be good, rather than nothing.

I would have to agree with Ozzie for the most part.

But at 5-6 mill per and not knowing when or if he'd be healthy again I have no problem with trading him nor do I believe it will effect our win loss record for the rest of the year.

Castilla is just as good but needs to get some pro experience. Great trade and the Twins just need to pick it up and hit the ball. Quit whining and play!

I understand he didn't run as well as he did when he was 25-but isn't he still consistently the Major League leader year after year in infield base hits?

Quote:

The funny thing about Castillo is that he ADMITTED that he dogs it on some plays and nobody says a word about it. I, for one, thought he was ok, but nothing special, and I didnt like his attitude. I seem to remember another Minnesota athlete who admitted dogging it on some plays and that got a few more headlines.

Please tell us you're joking? I'm pretty sure the man leads the league in infield hits. I'm certain he's not far from it. Didn't he just go 100+ games without an error? Those two stats do not happen to lazy guys.

Agree 100%. Our replacement had 2 errors tonite. Has a chance with time to be an ok player.