• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Square Lake Trout

I think splake stocking would be just fine. If it's cold enough and deep enough, why not?? Another cold water species in the lake isn't going to hurt....then again I don't have a fisheries biology degree so I am sure the DNR would say I have no clue what I am talking about!! Just my opinion. Start small, assess it, and see where it goes from there.

Kingfisher, I may be planning on getting out to Square sometime this weekend or early next week. I will let you know if I go, you could meet me there or we could ride together from somewhere in between. I have to get my second seat fixed in my boat first though as my fat (Contact Us Please) buddy broke it a few weeks ago. I'll let you know!

Come on guys, don't hold us in suspense. Did you fish Square this weekend? How did you do?

I have yet to get out there..... Anyone want to try to hit it sometime?

Well, I didn't make it out to square yet, but I did fish a wisconsin lake after work last night in the rain and got two rainbows and lost about 6 others. I was hooking them and then they would get off right at boat side before I could get the night under them. It was so weird!! I checked my hooks and they were all sharp and had the barbs intact. I have no clue what was going on.

Kingfisher, I will probably be heading out there tomorrow after work (thursday). If you want to go, you can meet me there as I will be coming from Somerset, WI. I get off at around 4 or 4:30 so I will be to Square by 4:45 or 5:00 p.m. I have a can of corn so all you need is a pole and some tackle and whatever else you so desire. Let me know! My email is [email protected]

Sam

I wrote back to you in the e-mail. I can't go due to working 6pm-1am. thanks for the invite, but maybe next time!!!

No problem kingfisher. Will catch you later sometime to go out on square. If anyone else wants to head out with me around 5ish, you are more than welcome. I will be going after the trout probably slip bobbering at first and then trolling if slipb'ing doesn't produce. What is the bag limit for trout on square anyways? Length limit? Anyone interested can let me know on here or email [email protected]

Sam

Well, went out last night and got one 16" rainbow on west central part of lake at the 45 foot contour. 35 feet down with slip bobber rig. I got it on that berkley powerbait trout bait. It's the goo that has the sparkles and smells like crap and you just gob it on your hook. I never thought the stuff would work, but it did. The corn wasn't working at all, so I switched to the powerbait. Got one other bite the whole night but messed up the hook set. Oh well, at least I didn't get skunked!

GoggleEye

I'm jealous. What a beautiful night to be on the lake!

My boat will be following me to the cabin this weekend, and will probably stay "up north" through the bow season. I guess I am done on Square till ice fishing. I'll have to settle for deer and walleye the rest of the year.

This weekend I'm gonna smoke the trout I got, don't get much better than that...

Well, it was such a beautiful night that I blew off some responsibilities, set back the cabin run a few hours and headed to Square one last time. Am I glad I did. Last night was the best fishing of the year for me.

I caught a 15"er right away, 10 minutes later I had another similar size one on that flew straight to the surface and came 5 ft out of the water before spitting the hook. Then I missed a couple, caught and released a smaller one, missed a couple more before catching a 17 1/2" just at sunset.

It was a perfect night, only two other boats on lake. Dead calm, deer on the shoreline, loons singing, eagles...

All fish came on corn. 45+ fow, 30 - 35 ft down, east shore just north of the point.

AH crap!!!! I was fishing right in that same spot earlier in the day when I was out there and didn't get any bites the first 20 minutes I was there so I moved over to the west shoreline. I had a feeling that spot was good and marked quite a few fish with my graph. I should have stayed, I bet they would have bit pretty good later in the evening had I stuck that spot out! Glad to hear you did well Don! If after you trailer your boat up north and you want to go out fishing, just shoot me a message and I would be glad to have you in my boat if I am free to go. My boat ain't pretty or very nice like some of the rigs you see out there, but she works for me until I go shopping for a new one next spring. I can't wait, I have been fishing in my little 1962 sea-maid 14 footer with only a 15 hp motor for 7 years and it is now time to move on to something nice and more comfortable. My eamil is [email protected] Shoot me a message whe you have the itch to go out!

GoggleEye

Thanks! I'll keep you in mind. The walleye fishing this weekend was pretty much a bust. I'll be at the cabin most every weekend now, but maybe some nice evening...

Is Square a good ice fishing spot for the trout?? Also, can you drive your vehicle on it or do they have regulations prohibiting vehicular traffic in the winter?

Be very carful if you try ice fishing on Sqaure it is a spring fed lake and it never freezes all the way to shore. I have ice fished it for 10+yrs and maybe see 1 car or truck a year, I think they put planks down to drive out. I get nervous walking out there, ice thickness varies quite a bit.

Thanks for that info!!!!! I will not be driving on it!!! But I may venture out there on foot to give the trout a try.