• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

how many rods?

i'm sure this has been a post before, but how many rod/reel combos does everyone have? i have 8- 2 catfish, then 1 ul spinning for pannies, 1 spincast that i bought for the wife, but i mostly use in a pinch if i have to, 1 medium and 1 medium light 6 ft. spinning, 1 6 1/2 ft. spinning and a 6 1/2 ft. mh baitcasting. i still have difficulties with not having enough since when i do fish i dont always target the same species and i hate re-rigging rods, and i really hate re-spooling them. anyone else have these kind of problems?

"The number of rods in a boat at any given time is directly proportionate to how the fishing has been." River Rat said that tonight.

That said we had 16 rods on deck with us today/tonight, you name it we had 1 or 2 rigged with it, glad we had beer. smile.gif

Fishing was tough, thats right, we ran out of beer to. blush.gif

I fish out of a 14' Lund, and have installed rod holders that will handle 6 rod/reels. I usually end up bringing 8, and am always wishing I could bring more. I fish for Bass. Normally, this is what I bring- 3 texas rigged rods with different sized sinkers, a jig worm rod, a spin rig rod (a spin rig is an old Ron Lindner designed lure- basically a miniture spinner bait that I tip with U2 pork rind), a drop shot rod, a what I call a CBS rod, which is basically a bubba drop shot rod, with a 4' weight to hook drop line, for a 5" Comida (Senko type) bait, and #8 is a choice between a flipping stick, what I call a Ripple Rind Rig, which is a trolling set up with an inline spinner like for walleyes tipped with ripple rind instead of a leach or nightcrawler, or a Carolina rigged rod. Notice I didn't say anything about a crankbait stick, a normal spinner bait rod, top water rod, etc. etc. etc.. Wish I had more room.

As far as what I own, I have mine numbered, I'm up to 24 rod/reel combo's, which includes everything from fly rod to a roller tipped wire line rod/reel combo.

I have 8 in the boat, but I always am working for more. Right now I am trying to add a new muskie rig and a new crappie rig. Most of mine are for walleyes and like everyone said, you have to be ready for any situation. Lindy rigs, jigging, bobbers, blading leeches, blading worms, and of course pulling cranks. Let me tell you, you can never have enough rods. I always allow myself one new rod/reel per year. But then again most of mine are Loomis or St. Croix so cost does play a big part.

I carry a 14 with me in the boat - all for bass except one for Muskie - split 9 casting/5 spinning. I have 6 crappie combos which come out only occasionally - 3 for me and 3 for the family and a bunch of 5'6" pistol grip casting rods w/o reels.

When I fish a tournament out of someone else's boat I typically pare it down to 7-8 rods depending upon the plan.

Daze Off

If my wife asks I can blame my brother for all the rods. She even noticed the new color GPS/sonar combo last time we were in the boat and I again had to blame my brother. In all reality though, usually 6-8 rods. My muskie rods have even multiplied and there are 4 or 5 of them as well.

My wife says too many and I feel not enough. The worst thing I did was to hang 3 five rod holders on the garage wall. Then there another 4 in the corner. Now see see's all the rods and scratches her head. I tell her, there just like your shoes honey, one for every outfit.

I got busted buying a new one because I tried to save money and not buy the Cabela's protective sleeve. She noticed that I was one short and called me on it. I realized if your going to get yelled at you might as well go all the way, Loomis rod, nice reel and definitely the protective sleeve for your investment.

I do like the comment about the shoes. It also applies to earrings, purses, well anything that they spend money on. Oh yeah, I also like to tell her that I still have a little catching up to do for that rock on her finger.

Fishing on my own probably four or five rods if Im with someone else I limit it to three or four rods each. Other wise I feel their is too much clutter in the boat.

8 in the boat at all times. Add the barbie and superman rods when the kids are in. My wife was at Dicks with me Sunday, and told me to go ahead and buy another....She must want a day at the spa confused.gif

If i am going to Smallies or wallys I bring.

7' Medium spinning rod/ 10lb floro carbon/ 2500 Shimano Sharia Reel,

7' Medium spinning rod/ 15lb Fireline with a Floro leader/ 2500 Shimano Sharia reel

6'6" Medium heavy Pflueger bait caster

If i'm going to pans

6' ultra light

7' ultra light

Both sedona 1500 reels

But I do have too many ice rods to try and post tongue.gif

man you guys are insane...

14 rods in the boat..just for one person.

a bit much don't you think?

Does anyone retie anymore? It's not that hard and doesn't take that long......really.

I have one rod/reel for channel cats, one for flatheads, one for walleye, one for bass/northern, one for panfish/bait.

By the looks of it, I'm the minority. Everyone needs 5+ for every specie.

Maybe it's the fact that I hate clutter. I'll normally just give something away or toss it then have it sit and collect dust in the hopes I may use it someday.

That's weird. My wife last night said I should write down the rod I want because my birthday is next week. I thought it was a trick question. So I started with...What do you mean? Are you sure their are no strings attached to this question, are you trying to get me to paint the rest of the house? She reply all to calmly, no I just thought you would like a new muskie rod. She is plotting something and I am not sure what it is, but it's going to cost me.

I'm with Dtro. As expensive as rods/reels, tackle and everything a guy needs to fish has gotten, retying is much easier and inexpensive than having 12 rods in the boat. Although, if you can afford it, I say go for it. If you can't pay the bills, I suggest start there first though.

1 reel/rod is all I need, sure more would be convienent, but not worth it in my small boat. I use the same pole for bass and pike, pretty much all I fish this time of year. I dont mind a quick re-tie when I want to switch it up.

I certainly could make do with fewer and re-tie but would definately lose some options I currently have. For example - if a fish smacks a topwater and misses I can pick up a rod immediately with a soft plastic follow-up and toss it at 'em. Or, I would not want to throw a crankbait on an ultra-stiff graphite rod or pitch a jig in the thick stuff on a fiberglass slow action rod. I have no idea why you would need a rod for channel cats and a different one for flatheads but I'd bet there is a reason. Same is true for fishing for most if not all other species. Can catch fish on a $19.95 Walmart special or a $500.00 Premium outfit - same fish. Someone once said (about something else) that "it is not the wand, it is the magician"grin.gif and that is certainly true but it is way more enjoyable to me to use quality equipment.

No different than having multiple screwdrivers or wrenches for different purposes. Only issue is when is enough truly enough. Varies from person to person according to what they fish for, how much of a passion they have for it, and how deep their pockets are smile.gif.

As for me, every year or so I pick up a new combo or two as I learn a new technique or technology advances. I am in the minority in that I have never broken a fishing rod (knock on wood) and I still have and occasionally use the first baitcaster my wife bought for me in the early 80's.

Over the course of several deccades it is not hard to accumulate a variety of rods/reels although most I have now date from this decade.

Just some thoughts...

Daze Off

My ice rod selection is ridiculous. All Thorne's & Croix's. Different rods with different reels & lines for different lures and species, all to fish vertically straight down a hole! blush.gif

I've got a flathead rod and a channel rod- the channel rod is just a bit lighter. got a couple for pike/bass and a couple for when I take my daughter for sunnies, and a frankenrod I made from a flyrod and an underspin reel for catching bullheads. the rest of my pile (probably at least a dozen or better) may all be usable, but as they are vintage pieces, their destiny is as decorations for my office when I get it finished.

I tend to take two with me when I go in case I break something, so I wont have to end the trip early.

So true. So true...

The kicker, shes allowing me to fish BSL for 3 days this weekend, and ML for 5 days the end of August....

Somethings up. confused.gif

I also retie, but I still have around 20 rods in my boat. Most are pairs, for my guide service. If I have 2 people fishing, they both have the same rod style rod and reel.

Rods range from $59.00 to $200.00, my clients can then feel the difference between the rods.

I only have one comment as far as wives go... It's easier to ask forgiveness, than permission!

It works. grin.gif

Nick

I have about 20 rods and carry about 12-15 in the boat at all times. I fish tournaments so I do not want to waist time to switch it is much more efficient to just lay one down and pick up another. My wife always comments when I have all my rods out preparing for a tourney about the number of rods. The response I give is "well lets go look in the closet and see how many pair of shoes you have?" that is when the subject changes. smile.gifsmile.gif

I have 6 open water rod/reel combos all for bass! I think I have 5 ice rods er maybe 6.

maybe i need to just switch everything and focus on 1 particular species. that would make things a lot easier. nah. i think a couple more baitcasters and i'll be set.

Quote:

man you guys are insane...

14 rods in the boat..just for one person.

a bit much don't you think?

Does anyone retie anymore? It's not that hard and doesn't take that long......really.

I have one rod/reel for channel cats, one for flatheads, one for walleye, one for bass/northern, one for panfish/bait.

By the looks of it, I'm the minority. Everyone needs 5+ for every specie.

Maybe it's the fact that I hate clutter. I'll normally just give something away or toss it then have it sit and collect dust in the hopes I may use it someday.

think about it this way (for my fishing anyway) %90 of the time I'm fishing in an area Im trying to hold in heavy current working a particular spot, if I break off or want to switch lures, by the time I retie my boat will, A: either be a mile down river no where near the spot I wanted to fish. Or B: bouncing off rocks up against shore knocking more paint off the bottom crazy.gif. I have upwards of 12-15 rods with me in the boat at any one time, some are lure specific (crankbait, jig and pig, spinnerbait, etc.) others can do double duty in a pinch. I might cover 10 miles of river in a particular day, all of it in heavy current (well if the water ever goes up mad.gif) and If Im retieng everytime I break off or want to switch something up I will get to fish about 50% of the time. By the time I usually get back to the ramp the decks of my boat look like a bomb went off. But my lure is in the water alot more and I effeciently cover water so I catch more fish!

I agree, re-teing wastes time, if I'm fishing the river for smallies, working a tube for instance, and all of a sudden a school starts busting minnows on the surface, by the time I re-tied with another lure, they would be long gone...

Besides it's fun as all getup to buy rods and reels. Now I don't carry many more than 7 or so at a time with me, but I suppose total I have 25 to 30 set-ups ranging from panfish to muskie.