• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN elk

dukhnt

My dad and I got lucky enough to get one of the six elk tags in minnesota. It was only our second year of applying. Anyways, just wondering if anyone here has hunted elk in minnesota in the past and if they had any tips.

Congrats on the tag and good luck. smile.gif I figure some year just maybe.

Somebody here on FM posted about their MN elk hunt last year, talked about scouting and how the hunt went, do a search to find it. It was pretty interesting!!!

"Gissert" drew a bull tag in the 2005 season. He wrote stories from the hunt here on FM. You can search the forum archives for the articles. I'm sure he can chime in and help you out.

Congrats on the tag!

Congratulations on the elk tag!

You are in for an experience of a lifetime.

I would contact Joel Huener at Thief Lake Refuge and he might be able to give you some tips.

I am assuming you will choose to hunt in September - this is in the heart of the rut. The November or December seasons will me MUCH harder to connect IMO.

In 2005, the herd was rutting a bit east of what I was told was the traditional rutting grounds. The herd was feeding on soybeans at night, and bedding during the day in an area that was outside the hunt boundary. I knew where the lions share of the elk were, but they were off limits as far as hunting them went. I did come close to scoring on my last morning, but not quite. I have no regrets. I had a ball, and made some great new friends in the process.

Last year, it sounded like the rutting area had shifted back west again. Perhaps this was because the fields that had soybeans in them in 2005 had small grains in 2006?

At a minumum, get a plat book for Marshall and Beltrami counties. Make a few trips up there and scout, and get to know the landowners ahead of time. I had 100 percent success in seeking permission on private lands. The locals were all very nice, and supportive.

If you have a camper, the city of Grygla has a nice spot to park your rig with full hookups. It also has grilling facilities and bathrooms/showers. The price to camp is very reasonable.

If you have any more questions, post them and I will try and help any way I can. Dig around the site here and look for the article I wrote and that may answer some of your questions.

I might even be in the area during the hunt, just because I cant get enough of listening to the bulls bugle and work a herd of cows.

Thanks for the info. I will look up your post when I have more time. Work seems to be taking it all up right now. I will be hunting the December season, only time it would work with the construction season in full swing yet in September. It probably will be harder to hunt, but still will be a ton of fun. What is the closest motel in the area? I am sure I will come up with some more questions about hunting the elk.

Everything you need can be had in Grygla. I stayed in the Motel 89 a couple nights on the tail end of my season. There is a groecery store, a co-op and two swell bars/supper clubs.

I can't speak on how to accomplish your hunt in December. You will more than likely be trying to catch them between a bedding area and where they are feeding. Again, Give Joel or Marshall a call up at Thief Lake, and they will get you what you need to know.

If you are not a member, you should consider joining the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. They are a big reason that Grygla herd is huntable, and also play a role in the even larger herd up in Kittson county.

I just made a call to Joel Huener and he is giving me some info after the applications are all in. I did see there is a good bit of private land up there. Was wondering if it is possible to get the contacts you had without buying the plat books since I would only need them once. I realize this is asking alot, but if you would, you could email me at [email protected]. Thanks for all your help.