• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Night time fishing on Vermilion be careful!

I've heard several reports from people coming into the store that are fishing at night, that a lot of folks aren't using their lights. I've heard of three close calls already and am concerned that someone is going to get hurt with all of the night time fishing.

Here are the rules for those of you who might need a refresher:

From Sunset to Sunrise Navigation Lights must be on.

White lights must be visible for two miles on a dark clear night, combination or side lights must be visible for one mile.

Combination or side lights must shine red to port and green to starboard.

Motorboats less than 40 ft (Assuming this is most of us) have to display a 225 degree combination red and green bow light when underway.

Whether anchored or underway from sunrise to sunset you must have a 360 degree white stern light visible.

I'm only bringing this up because a lot of the musky fisherman seem to turn their lights on when someone is showing up. I would hate to see someone get hurt because they don't have their lights on. More and more people are fishing at night so please be careful out there!!!!

Have fun fishing!

I dont know what it is about Vermilion, but many locals on the lake think they are above the light law. Any other lake I go to everyone has their lights on during the time you are supposed to. On Vermilion, every time Im heading in at dark I get suprised by a couple boats fishing or heading back into their cabins without lights. Why is this?

Ive always thought this was a COMMON SENSE regulation...guess not.

State needs to make a $1000 fine for violators.

What's really annoying is if you want your own spot at night, and think you have one, only to find out as you pull up that there's a boat there once they finally turn there lights on. A waste of gas and time if your going across the lake at night ....however, if they sit there with no lights, I guess I shouldn't feel bad about fishing the same spot.

I was out on the west side last Saturday night for about two hours afer sunset. I counted 12 boats that did not have either no lights working, just a bow or just a stern light! I actually had a boat that went next to me with two bow lights so all you saw was either two reds or two greens until he/she went away from me then no lights! I had two close calls that night as well. One me moving and came up fast on a boat with no lights and one came right at me just not paying attention. I just don't get it??? OK I'm done venting smile.gif

My experience tells me these people traveling at night without light are trying to see better. I have a 1988 Thundercraft that has bright dash lights. These lights reflect in the windshield making it twice as hard to see at night. With all the rocks and islands on Vermilion you need your night vision more than say Mille Lacs. Many years ago I installed a toggle switch that provides power to the dash lights on a separate circuit. I can still turn them on to read fuel level, but have them off for safer traveling at night. The people anchored with their rear white light on are more afraid of bugs than their’s or your’s safety!

If people want to really see at night, they need to get a FLIR system.

TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS. ALL THE TIME.

I have had a few close calls myself with these folks breaking the law. One is all it takes for an accident. So if you don't like it start calling the local conservation officer and tell them to get out there and start passing out some tickets.

There is NO excuse not to have your lights on. End of story.

almost every evening as I cruise back into Niles...there are boats without their lights turned on...too many close calls this year...thankfully I am watching, dimming my electronics so I can see...but come on folks...lights work, period. Let's not have a bad memory in Niles or anywhere on the Big V.

Couple years ago I almost t-boned a pontoon anchored between Cemetary Point and Ormond Island with about a dozen people watching northern lights. I was less than a few rods from them when they lit themself up right in front of me. Still got squinch marks in my helm seat!

Last night some doofus moved across Norwegian Bay on plane at about 9:30 (before moonrise) with no lights. I could hear him approaching, but couldn't see him and wasn't sure he saw me (I was fully lit). He passed no more than 100 feet off my bow.