Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steffanf

Christmas Lake or Lake Elmo for pike

6 posts in this topic

Anyone fish Christmas Lake this time of year? Specifically, I am looking to get into some pike... mainly quantity numbers in the 18-24" range. One might think the cooler water might make things better for the pike. Same thing for Lake Elmo. Is there any big algae blooms reducing visibility on either of these lakes?

-Gregg B.

With the trout in christmas lake, the pike could get to be big 10 plus lbs. The last time I fished Christmas, we caught some nice size pannies.

After spending many hours fishing Xmas this year, I came to the conclusion that the lake is filled with 15-18 inch hammerhandles, and rare monster northerns. It was rather fun watching the "decoy" sized suckers get watched by the hammerhandles, then having all heck brake out when a monster did roll through.

Good Luck!

Drive over to Minnetonka Outdoors, and ask for a spoon plug that will dive to about 20 to 24 ft. Put 30lb test line on a stiff rod. Now troll at 4 to 6 mph. How fast can you speed troll? Go deep for the bigger ones.

not sure how accurate this is anymore, but 2001 dnr survey says avg. size is 1.1 lbs and 17 inches. could have changed since then.

Troll larger plugs, in 25ft of water.