Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ivegottabite

Getting bigger....

21 posts in this topic

Well the cats for me are slowly getting bigger. I had one just under 10lbs, the scale showed 9.7lbs to be exact. Nothing huge but slowly going in the right direction.

DSC00409.jpg

Fished the MidTown stretch during the heat of the day with FMer John. We only managed a half dozen or so, but it was nice to get out again.

Might try the MB stretch, has anyone been out up there? How is the water level there?

Glad to see your getting on the river. It most have been a long wati with the higher water you had all summer. Good job.

Nice kitty Loren!

I was just wondering myself when the big ones are gonna start biting? I've been out probably seven times in the last two weeks and only managed three nice cats, but lots of little ones. I've been trying bigger bait and everything. confused.gif Any feed back that would help is much appreciated.

Nice fish Loren!

Why aren't the big ones biting? Could be location, could be timing, could be bait, could be any number of things really.

The big fish disappearing act is typically associated with the spawn. With the way the water levels have been up and down and up and down this early summer, it could be the fish have finally started to do their thing.

What sorts of baits you fishing?

Chris- I tried sucker and goldeye with sucker being the only one getting fish. I found some kids that are going to load me up on Kermits, so maybe the action will pick up using those grin.gif

I tried a variety of locations too with wood still being the best option.

Yep, them hoppers will be a great option for you soon. I haven't been up by MB- the South access is too close to me now to bother heading up there. Glad to see you are finding a few bigger fish now.

Regarding Hanson's comments about spawning- I gotta believe that's about wrapped up for the year and the big fish will be good to go now. Water temps are high enough so I don't think spawing is still going on here in the Fargo area. My guess is that if you stick with it, you'll find some bigger fish very soon.

Quote:

Regarding Hanson's comments about spawning- I gotta believe that's about wrapped up for the year and the big fish will be good to go now. Water temps are high enough so I don't think spawing is still going on here in the Fargo area. My guess is that if you stick with it, you'll find some bigger fish very soon.

Thats pretty much my feeling as well. But with the volatility in water levels, you just never know what them critters are going to do to pull off a successful spawn.

Our flathead cats down here have definitely finished up, about 1-1/2 weeks ago, the bite turned around in a BIG way! Channel cats were done about 3-4 weeks ago, about the end of June. I'm catching something around 10lbs every time I go out, its just been unreal for nice, solid channel cats the last month.

Hey guys the cut up sucker is about the only thing we can catch anything on as well, we've tried frogs, shrimp, smelt, and goldeyes, but the little cats seem to suck those right off the hooks. I'm using 5/0 circle hooks. Is that too big, or too small? And as far as location we've tried holes, snag piles, and spots that most people would't think about fishing. Do you guys use live frogs or dead frogs? Thanks for the info Chris and Loren.

Quote:

I'm using 5/0 circle hooks. Is that too big, or too small?

IMO... perfect. You could slide down to as small as 3/0 and go as big as 8/0 if you wanted. I like 5/0, 90% of my channel catting is with a 5/0.

Quote:

And as far as location we've tried holes, snag piles, and spots that most people would't think about fishing.

The other spots are in between all those spots. smile.gif Shallow runs up (or down) from a deep hole can be good. I like setting up alongside the outside bend down from a hole. Seams like cats in the hole are just "hanging out" while cats in the shallower water are out on the prowl. Runs that have bumps (2-4' bottom variation) in them can be good as well.

I'm convinced you can catch a cat anywhere you toss a line in the Red River. There are so many of them that they use a lot of different structures, even if we don't think they are structures.

Quote:

Do you guys use live frogs or dead frogs?

I kill kermit before he goes on the hook.

Thanks alot guys. I was out tonight for three hours and managed to catch three bigger ones on kermits, a 30",32",and a 34". My buddy caught one 31" on cut sucker.We also managed to catch four others in the 25-28" range.By far our best night out. Your imput has helped out greatly. Thanks. smile.gifsmile.gif I think the frog bite is picking up.

Ray-

Nice job on the kitties! Sounds like thinks are looking up for you! I am hoping for the same luck grin.gif

What hours have you been out in the evening and what areas have you been fishing? wood, flats, holes?

I am thinking of staying out after dark tomorrow night and wouldn't mind getting into a few fish.

Drop me a line if you wish, as I have a few other questions for you as well... motorhead327@hotmail.com

Time 6-9:30 pm grin.gif and i have not fished any latter. I'll tell you where as soon as i figure out why i can't email anyone.

What's your email? Maybe I can send one thru to you?

I struck out finding frogs tonight as well crazy.gif Anyone know if the bait shops in town carry any? I would really like to try some tomorrow night.

Loren, i sent you a email from my wifes, just use that.

Loren,

Check out D&H bait just East of Dilworth. They're spendy, but they usually have frogs.

If you're in the Horace area, go to the east side of town and ask anyone over there that has a rambler if you can look in their window wells. I was over there last week and a friend's window wells were filled with frogs. I live on the west side of town and for some reason all I usually see are a bunch of toads.

FYI- last night we only mustered up two cats, but they were 10.1 and 15.9 lbs. Both came on cut sucker.

Scoot, we ended up with 9 cats all but 2 were under 4lbs. One was 15.2 & 10.3 so I thought it was a decent night for us. You must not have been south as we were the only boat out of the Convent Landing.

All but 2 fish came after dark otherwise it would have been a dismal night for us. Frog and sucker caught our fish and I ran out of frog after the 2 big ones were caught crazy.gif

Scoot and Loren, nice fish. smile.gif No catfishing for me this weekend. frown.gif

anyone else find catfishing slow this weekend or was it just me!! Fished both Friday night, and saturday day with just a hand full of small cats.