• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shooting Clays, too serious??

The Donk

I joined a team through work to shoot clays on a league once a month. I think of myself not as a newbie, but fairly green to shooting sports. I have been steadily improving and have worked my average rounds into the 30's out of 50. grin.gif My question is... there are some teams who treat this league very serious. Our team is OK, but seems to me that we are looked down upon because we are out to have fun and not to finish in first place. How serious should something like this be taken? We don't drink before we shoot or anything stupid like that, but we hang out in the parking lot after and grill with a few beers. Shouldn't it be about fun???

Its always about fun. SOme people don't have fun unless they are the best. I feel bad for people like that cause they take the fun out of things for others.

Go out, have fun with your buddies and do it for personal enjoyment. Try to beat your own presonal achievements.

Last year I played softball for the first time in probably 10yrs. Our team came in last place in the first season and 2 to last in the second season. We didn't care cause we were having fun. People picked on us and told us to quit, but we didn't cause we were there doing what we wanted to do.

Good for you for trying out something new. Maybe next year you will give those guys a run for their money.

Have fun and use it as a tuneup for hunting season. When I shoot trap I always start with my gun across my chest, thats the position it will be in when I'm pheasant or duck hunting.

Have fun with your team and shoot to best yourself. If you really get into it and want to "team" shoot for top honors, jump onto another loaded team (if they let you). Then you can take it more seriously. Most clubs are the same as you speak of, serious shooters/teams and those teams just having fun. Don't let it bother you.

I shot on 2 separate regular teams and subbed for others for almost 13 years - summer, fall, and winter leagues. None were too serious, but we almost always placed in the top 4 or 5 of our leagues (usually A or AA). Our top 7 teams of the club were very good, but many of those guys eat, live, and sleep trap shooting. Most of those guys also travel state to state to shoot competition too. I however, always used my regular hunting guns and had a very good personal average. I shot for myself and then team - and had fun. I quit two years ago because my teams seemed to be getting too serious and it was not fun for me any more.

One thing to consider,.... most guys I shot with all thought that "trap" shooting did nothing to improve their actual real life shooting/hunting skills. "Trap" shooting is nothing like shooting at a real birds in the wild. Most guys said they thought it actually made them worse shots in the field. I agree. Others may not. After 2 years of not shooting trap though, I have finally become a good duck/pheas/geese/crow shooter again. Shooting trap really screwed with "my" real bird timing and lead. I would advise that if that is what you are after, convert immediately to sporting clays or skeet. Besides, trap is just a mind game anyhow. ....Who wants to concentrate that hard when your trying to have fun hunting!!

First you sure don't have to worry about having fun and who gives a rip what anybody else thinks about it??? Tell them to go pound sand if they give you any grief.

I would say for me personally though that my experience was much different than the last poster's. I shot way better when I was shooting trap then I did after I quit league. I think it was just familiarity with the gun and the trained ability to not get flustered by the target coming out. During the peak of my trap shooting, I once went an entire season without missing a single rooster, can't even come close to that anymore...

I agree with you 100% Jeff. I use to shoot 200 rounds a week and was a fair shot afield. Now, with no trap shooting for years, my hit rate has went down. Like anything else ones does, the more the better.

Sometimes roosters laugh after I shoot and just keep on going.

Donk, it's no different than being in a dart, pool, bowling, softball, etc league. If your team is just there to have a good time then good for yous guys. There will always be those who take things WAAAAAAAAAY too serious. Too bad for them really cuz they miss all the fun.

Shoot some clays, then hang out and have a few laughs over the grill. Life is too darn short to be taken seriously.

Boiler is right, some people just get too into it. Take things to the extreme. Softball is a great example.

I shoot clays for a bout three or four weeks before the season at a hunting club. I love it. I am not going against others, in my mind, just trying to get better and have some fun along the way.

Last year was the first year I shot clays and I saw a big difference during duck and goose season

I saw do it, but just for what it is worth -- don't let other get to ya. If you only hit 1/3 of them -- who cares, maybe the next week it will get better.

Just my thoughts.