Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishingPops

Resort suggestions

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My wife is a teacher and we have 3 kids, ages 10, 8 and a 7 month old. We would like to take a family resort trip before schools starts again. We are looking at one of the first 2 weeks, or part of a week, in August and are looking for a place with good swimming, clean cabins, and fishing from the dock--panfish or walleye, the kids like to catch a few fish to eat and they like to fish from a dock when they want.

Does anything like this exist?

Thanks!

FishingPops

I would highly recommend Sunset Bay Resort near Hackensack. I just looked at there website and they do have availability in August. We went there for years, but have been unable to go for the last couple of years. You won't catch much fish from the dock, everything else you can do there is well worth it. the owners Arne and Penny are great. It is a very nice lake, Northerns, walleyes, smallmouth, largemouth, and Muskies. They have nightly events for the family and the kids. Overall this is the best resort We have ever been to. We just which our schedule would allow us to go back. I didn't even care if i got out fishing there. It was just always a great family experience.

there email address is arne@tds.net or you can see there website by searching hackensack,mn. then click on Baby Lake.

Then to Sunset Bay Resort. Good Luck You will have fun there.

check out lakewood lodge on sand or williams narrows on cutfoot or go to our prefered resorts on our website www.mnfishingpros and we have a whole list in our area

Jason

Thanks for the ideas. Jason, would any of the ones listed at your web site have dock fishing this time of year? I could bring our boat but I tend to fish too much that way smile.gif

none are great this time of the year off the docks but you will catch some smaller fish

Jason

Check out Gus' Place on Ball Club. I know they have cabins open in August, ask for cabin #8, it has been remodeled recently and Gus installed a dishwasher, very nice for a family. All the cabins have window unit air cond. also, they are not fancy but are clean and comfy and reasonably priced. Beach is nice, very safe, depth drops off slow for a long ways out.

My kids will spend hours fishing off the docks in the harbor, usually they will catch a lot of perch, rock bass and sunfish. They have also have caught pike, and a few big dog fish. We just got back from there today, the fishing was slow but it was very hot. I was able to pick up a few walleyes in the evenings but I'm looking forward to cooler weather. I would wait until the third week of August and hope the cooler nights will get them a little more active.

I may have soem ideas for you in Grand Rapids if you haven't found something already. My email is gklofacr@aol.com if your still looking.

Thanks for all the ideas. We actually changed course quite a bit. We are taking a Charter out of Milwaukee on Monday the 6th for salmon & trout and then staying at a hotel with a water park for a couple days. That way we can have fishing time together and then family fun time doing other things. smile.gif

We spend a week at Wildood Resort on Bass Lake in Cohasset. Our family has been doing that for 15+ years. Great family resort-Playground, Sand Beach, etc. Very Good Panfish lake for the kids. Dock fishing not much to write home about, but lake is not that big for a short boat ride. They have some brand new cabins as well as some clean/older cabins.