Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walleye35

Where are the walleye

10 posts in this topic

We are headed back up to Cass the first week of August for our annual trip. We would like to know how the walleye fishing is and where can we find them? Thanks for any info.

Just got home from Cass yesterday and take my word for it...do exactly as i say and you will catch at least 5-8 walleye a night.....go get yourself a SSR 7 Rappala Shap Rap in Blue/Chrome. Go to O'Neil Point on the west side...troll from 6-8ft the entire way to the last boat dock by Windigo Portage. Start at about 7pm and troll till the moon goes down about 1:30am....you'll thank me for it..

Our week 21-28...my buddy and I caught 41 walleye of 15in or better with the best being 28 1/2in (8.9lbs). Also caught perch and pike before the sun went down and on wed night at about 120am...i caught a 49in musky on the same lure right in front of the last boat dock closest to windigo portage.

Good Luck

I fished the same spot you mentioned back on Sunday to no avail. Of course, I was trying to fish there in the middle of the afternoon. Were you fishing out over the deep weedline edge, or were you simply fishing the sparsely-weeded sand-flats? You catch pike in the same area? How big were the pike?

-Gregg B.

Thanks for the info, how far were you running the crank behind the boat and what was the speed of the troll? Thanks again we will definitely give it a try.

Cranks were about 25-30 yards behind the boat...boat speed, ya know I dont have an exact mph, but on my boat, it was fairly slow, just enough to get the boat moving from idle speed, maybe 1 mph....

I was fishing the sparsely weeded sand flats....biggest pike was just over 31"...caught about 11 pike that I can remember....most were around 24-28

Thanks again for the information, we will put it to good use. I have three boys under 12 and they need a little action to keep them interested, I could fish all day and only pick up a few, but they....they would be happy fishing for tiny perch as long as there was steady action. This way it sounds like we can both get what we want, some walleyes and steady action. Thanks, we are coming up next week so I hope the pattern holds.

I never heard of catching pike like that on the sandflats... in July no less! Maybe it was because you were out there in the evening. But then again, you said you caught the pike before sunrise. 11 pike in 2-3 hours... sounds pretty good. Was there any real structure out there that the pike were relating to? Most of the pike I ran into were less than 24" and less numerous and I was fishing "typical" pike structure. Anyone else have luck with pike on the sandflats before? Maybe I'm missing something here...

-Gregg B.

I've caught several on the sand flats both day and at night. A few skis as well. If there is food there they will be there eating.