Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elusivecrappiecatcher

Franconia area on the croix?

9 posts in this topic

Can you even fish in this area right now as the water level is low? My buddy seems persistant to go down there tonight, and I am thinking it is going to be a flop because of the low water. Anyone know the scoop? How is the fishing, smallies and cats is what we are going after.

If you have a small boat you shouldn't have a problem. Just really look out for rocks if you are fishing the shorelines. There are a few now that are within prop distance where before I've only seen on the flasher.

Our luck was so so...

ended up with 5 smallies 1 was worth keeping, I caught my first channel cat 2 or 3 pounds I would say, and a small walleye on a spinner bait casting for smallies. And my buddy got 2 huge soft shell turtles back to back.

Quote:

I caught my first channel cat 2 or 3 pounds I would say, and...And my buddy got 2 huge soft shell turtles back to back.

Ah yes...I know where you were fishing!!! grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I caught my first channel cat 2 or 3 pounds I would say, and...And my buddy got 2 huge soft shell turtles back to back.

Ah yes...I know where you were fishing!!! grin.gif

LOL Take a guess I want to know more about this area, seems like a neat spot.

EC, I'd be happy to share my experiences with you for this area, just won't get into exact spots or specifics on here. In general, remember that the river current will carry food, but it also makes fish spend more energy, so look for those current breaks or structure that slows or alters the current. Bass, northerns and walleyes will also use these areas as ambush points, just like you'd find on trout streams. I have surprisingly never caught much in the turtle spot and that's usually the story from everyone who's fished there. I think you'll find you'll have better luck for all species fishing in the 2-10 ft range and structure/current breaks. Hope this helps a little.

Quote:

EC, I'd be happy to share my experiences with you for this area, just won't get into exact spots or specifics on here. In general, remember that the river current will carry food, but it also makes fish spend more energy, so look for those current breaks or structure that slows or alters the current. Bass, northerns and walleyes will also use these areas as ambush points, just like you'd find on trout streams. I have surprisingly never caught much in the turtle spot and that's usually the story from everyone who's fished there. I think you'll find you'll have better luck for all species fishing in the 2-10 ft range and structure/current breaks. Hope this helps a little.

My two buddy's went down to the turtle spot Tuesday night and the walleyes (visible fish)were all stacked up on the upslope of turtle spot. They said they have seen nothing like that before. We are going to the turtle spot tomorrow after work to see if we can catch any or them. If not we will probably go just south of the turtle spot to see if we can catch anything. BTW if you got any info on this area that you want to keep between you and I email me. crmesserschmidt@hotmail.com

BTW sitting in the turtle spot we usually notice alot of splashing around. It almost sounds like a dang beaver making a ruckis but we never see it or are turned around only to hear it then see where it was. My buddy thinks its cats, but I think it is a beaver, or some white bass. most of them are coming about 10 yards off shore.

Ah yes, the ever present jumping fish! Welcome to Franconia!!! I know that some of the jumpers are carp. There are a lot of carp in this area, but most are fairly small compared to those that you'll see in the area lakes (like Forest). I'll shoot ya an email tomorrow.

EC, I shot you that email...