Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyfisher

Flyfishing

4 posts in this topic

What are be best colors for pike and muskie this time of year?

What color? BIG!

You're thinking like a fly fisherman (I know, I do it, too). The thing that will make the most difference is the amount of water you can push and the commotion you can make. My last hit from a muskie came from a white/brown popper. I don't think it made one bit of difference what color it was. If you want to "match the hatch", find out what the forage is in the lake (Cisco, Perch) and go with those colors. I think you'll ultimately find, however, that it is the presentation that will make the most difference.

For streamers, strip fast, lots of action, don't ever let the fly stop, if they follow it all the way in, keep it moving all around the front of the boat and to both sides (since fly rods aren't the best for figure 8s).

Good luck!

Are you at Cass now?

I have lots of bunny flies, dahlburg divers, clousers, big salt water poppers and decivers. I'll be at Cass the first full week in August. Staying at Sunset Cove behind Stanmans place. I'll be in a blue 17' G3 that will look like its a ham radio operators boat. Anyone out flyfishing (or any kind of fishing ) stop by and say HI

I will be in either Cass or Bemidji that week as well. I really wasn't planning on bringing the fly gear this time...but now maybe I will smile.gif

Not sure where we'll be staying yet. There's so many great lakes in that area I don't know how much we'll actually be on Cass. We're in a little 14' backtroller, so we'll often be in the bay, or on Big Lake, Little Wolf or Plant. Will probably make a trip down to Mantrap at some point as well.