Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jchap

what's a better campsite?? West side of namakin or sandpoint

10 posts in this topic

hey everyone, on aug 4-11 we will be visiting voyagers for the first time so we are looking for some advice. We are going to be camping on one of the many campsites for a week but, we are prefering an island. We are thinking about either going to the west side of Namakin- somewhere around junction bay area and the blind indian narrows, or around sandpoint in the blind pig channel.

We are looking for a good campsite that is positioned close to good fishing!! A big concern is not getting to far away from gas. WE don't mind a boat ride but are concerned about having to drive all the way arcoss the lake to get some.

One last question is where is the best location to launch our boat to get to these spots. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. By the way we are only catch and release. Thanks!!

I have never stayed on Sand Point but I have camped on Namaken a few times. I like the Wolf pack island's camp sites. Also good fishing for Eyes and smallies not to far from there.

Better go with the west end of Namakan. Fron the west end of Sandpoint where your talking about you'll be about 15 miles from gas.

so where exactly is there gas on the west side of namakin, thanks again

you will have to go to the Ash River, there are several resorts that have gas. It could be a 5 to 10 mile trip depending where you camp.

so if i'm staying in or around junction bay that means i will have to go through the blind indian narrows every time i need to refill

is there a faster way to get to the west end of namakin other than going in at the ash river visitors center. I was looking on my gps and i noticed there's a road that goes to moose river, just south of moose bay. It is Forest Rt 493. Is that a dirt road or paved(wondering road condition mainly), and does anybody know if there is a launch around that location. Thanks once again for any help!!

I like the east side of Namakan, more sites to pick from and not too far from gas and other supplies.

We just got back from up there. The CO told us that someone had there tent and other things stolen off one of the Wolf Pack camp sites.

That Forest RD 493 is not paved and is gated on the south side of Long Lake. I believe it is Voyageur National Park past the gate. It is a logging road but I have never seen it open for travel.

well that is some discouraging news about the wolf pack campsites. I guess we will have to make sure to watch our gear, unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up on 493. We will be launching at the ash river visitors center like originally planned.

So i've been watching the weather and it looks like there is a cold front coming in. How do you think this will affect the fishing the next week or two. What would you suggest for presentation and depth if the temps drop down to high 70's, low 80's??