Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EXTREME

GR AREA ZONE 170 INTENSIVE HARVEST?

4 posts in this topic

Did I read the regs correctly that Zone 170 (primarily Grand Rapids area) is intensive harvest this year? Does that mean that there will be extra bonus tags...I mean more than 1...up to 4? Just wondering if anybody else noticed this. PS last year zone 170 was a Manangement area...not intensive harvest...I think???

Hey Kyle,

Yep that's my understanding too. That's what a local CO had told my dad week or 2 ago. As much as we like venison, we're happy to have 2 in the freezer when the deer season is done. Anymore than that would take up the room designated for fish, grouse, and ducks! grin.gif

I think an entire deer season of does only would greatly help reduce the deer herd #'s, but the state is too greedy when it comes to license fees and too many people would whine about not being able to shoot a spike or fork! And to think these are the same people who never shoot or see a big buck for some reason? crazy.gif

I'd love to see a point restriction come into play or even an "earn a buck" system where you have to shoot a doe or 2 before you can use a buck tag. Or how about drawing a buck tag?

Brian

I think when you had to apply for a anterless permit and you got one you should have had to take a anterless deer, and not be able to take a buck.That would of helped thin the herd some time ago.

I wish they would put some sort of antler restrictions on too except for kids. But you and I know it will never happen! Oh well, I do however think that the message is slowly getting accross. You seem to see way more 2 year old or older bucks getting processed than the spikes and forks these days. Kind of nice to see.