• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys,

Anybody got any ideas on the walleye (or northerns) in Little Pine? I only have six more days vacation left. I am on the lake right now. Trolled North Shore in 8-12 feet with no luck last night. Any help would be appreciated. Can't even locate decent perch.

I only caught one walleye on little pine this year, and I was out there about 3-4 times. The only thing I would suggest is maybe fishing a little bit deepeer 15-20 fow. Lindy riggin and crawler worked for me last year. I usually run into northerns along the weedlines.

I'm going to try big pine this weekend, and hope for the best.

If there is anything worth reporting on big or little pine keep us posted. Thanks.

Thanks, SC.

I usually lindy out in 17 fow too but the Sport Shop said 8-12 with cranks. We did that in Dead on Tuesday. Got 2 4 lb. walleyes that went back in and 2 eaters with a couple of crappie and some bass. Anyone got a better lake right now close to Perham?

Lida has been producing lately (shhhh). Not sure how far you want to travel but the "limiting out" words have been in our vocabulary the past couple of weekends. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you some more info.

Forgot to mention... Lida has a slot limit... not sure if that matters to you, but it does turn some people off? 17-26 have to be returned.

The last time I fished Little Pine was the first week of July, so things may have changed, but for what it's worth:

I had the best luck with leeches on a plain hook trolling really slow or with a bobber. Didn't catch many but the ones I did get were nice, they all had to go back except for 2.

12-20 fow.

If you (or any one else for that matter) is truly interested in coming over to Lida, give me a buzz on my cell when you get there (701-388-5478). I will put you on all the spots that have been producing and hopefully the bite will still be on. Bring crawlers and leeches (they both seem to work equally well... we haven't tried minnows?). My brother lives and dies by the pinkish/orangish jig and he has had success with it. I myself like crawler harness spinners (hammered gold). We both caught an equal amount of fish (admittedly his tended to be bigger, but there is a slot, so my technique put more in the live well). Don't forget to bring your cranks also. The bite shuts off sometimes with live bait and we often move up shallow in the weeds. I personally love lazy man fishing (pulling cranks) and it has produced at least half the fish. We have pulled at least 4 different kinds of cranks and they seem to like them all. The public access is just off highway 4.

I was on Little Pine last week and fishing seemed to be better during the day time than at night. You are fishing at the right depth. I would also go a little deeper approx 15'. Trolling off the weed lines with DT10's worked for both walleyes and northerns. Also there is a good perch hatch on the lake now, and rapalas that color also got us fish. Black and silver seemed to work the best for me. Good luck if you put your time in on Little Pine it will pay off.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.