Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christoph

Little Pine

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Anybody got any ideas on the walleye (or northerns) in Little Pine? I only have six more days vacation left. I am on the lake right now. Trolled North Shore in 8-12 feet with no luck last night. Any help would be appreciated. Can't even locate decent perch.

I only caught one walleye on little pine this year, and I was out there about 3-4 times. The only thing I would suggest is maybe fishing a little bit deepeer 15-20 fow. Lindy riggin and crawler worked for me last year. I usually run into northerns along the weedlines.

I'm going to try big pine this weekend, and hope for the best.

If there is anything worth reporting on big or little pine keep us posted. Thanks.

Thanks, SC.

I usually lindy out in 17 fow too but the Sport Shop said 8-12 with cranks. We did that in Dead on Tuesday. Got 2 4 lb. walleyes that went back in and 2 eaters with a couple of crappie and some bass. Anyone got a better lake right now close to Perham?

Lida has been producing lately (shhhh). Not sure how far you want to travel but the "limiting out" words have been in our vocabulary the past couple of weekends. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you some more info.

Forgot to mention... Lida has a slot limit... not sure if that matters to you, but it does turn some people off? 17-26 have to be returned.

I'd trailer to Lida for a limit!!

The last time I fished Little Pine was the first week of July, so things may have changed, but for what it's worth:

I had the best luck with leeches on a plain hook trolling really slow or with a bobber. Didn't catch many but the ones I did get were nice, they all had to go back except for 2.

12-20 fow.

If you (or any one else for that matter) is truly interested in coming over to Lida, give me a buzz on my cell when you get there (701-388-5478). I will put you on all the spots that have been producing and hopefully the bite will still be on. Bring crawlers and leeches (they both seem to work equally well... we haven't tried minnows?). My brother lives and dies by the pinkish/orangish jig and he has had success with it. I myself like crawler harness spinners (hammered gold). We both caught an equal amount of fish (admittedly his tended to be bigger, but there is a slot, so my technique put more in the live well). Don't forget to bring your cranks also. The bite shuts off sometimes with live bait and we often move up shallow in the weeds. I personally love lazy man fishing (pulling cranks) and it has produced at least half the fish. We have pulled at least 4 different kinds of cranks and they seem to like them all. The public access is just off highway 4.

I was on Little Pine last week and fishing seemed to be better during the day time than at night. You are fishing at the right depth. I would also go a little deeper approx 15'. Trolling off the weed lines with DT10's worked for both walleyes and northerns. Also there is a good perch hatch on the lake now, and rapalas that color also got us fish. Black and silver seemed to work the best for me. Good luck if you put your time in on Little Pine it will pay off.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Rick
      People who enjoy the North Shore and Lake Superior and want to help shape its future are encouraged to consider volunteering to serve on the Governor’s Council on Minnesota’s Lake Superior Coastal Program.  This is a citizen advisory group that sets grant funding priorities, reviews grant applications and recommends projects to receive funding through the Coastal Program. All funded projects benefit Minnesota’s coastal area. The 15-member council is made up of three representatives each for Carlton, Cook, Lake and St Louis counties and three at-large positions that can be filled statewide. There are ten available seats on the council. The council meets about five times per year at various North Shore locations. Council members receive travel reimbursement and serve 60 to 70 hours per year while fulfilling a two or three year term. All adult Minnesotans are eligible to serve. Anyone interested can apply online at the Minnesota Secretary of State website or download a paper application. For more information about the Coastal Program’s work and service area, see the program webpage. Questions about the Coastal Program and application process can be directed to Amber Westerbur, Coastal Program manager, at 218-834-1445 or amber.westerbur@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Department of Natural Resources will offer three northern Minnesota parcels in a public oral bid auction in June.  Two parcels in St. Louis County and one parcel in Beltrami County will be auctioned on Monday, June 26 at the DNR Office in Grand Rapids.  The properties include a developable lakeshore parcel on St. Mary’s Lake and a recreational parcel in the Kabetogama area, both in St. Louis County, and a 40-acre unimproved parcel in Lammers Township, Beltrami County. The area DNR Office is located at 1201 E. Highway 2, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, 55744. Registration will begin at noon, with auction at 1 p.m. Bidders are advised to obtain/view the property data sheet, be familiar with the property, minimum bid price, and terms and conditions of sale prior to attending the auction. Bidders must be registered before the 1 p.m. start time in order to bid. To obtain a property data sheet or terms and conditions of sale, call 651-259-5432, 888-646-6367 or email landsale@dnr.state.mn.us. The property data sheets are also available online at www.dnr.state.mn.us/lands_minerals/landsale/. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      There are plenty of fun places to go and things to do this Memorial Day weekend at Minnesota state parks and trails.  Here are some last-minute travel-planning tips: Camping. Sites are still available. Reservations are now required for all overnight stays at Minnesota state parks and recreation areas, and many sites are already booked, but here are some options: — Check www.mndnr.gov/reservations more than once. There are often cancellations, and the inventory of available sites changes all the time. –Take advantage of the long weekend to explore Minnesota’s northwest territory. Sites are easier to come by at the state parks and recreation areas in that part of Minnesota, and there are plenty of reasons why it’s worth the drive: — Zippel Bay State Park is located on south shore of vast Lake of the Woods, with a white sand beach. — Lake Bronson State Park has an observation tower that people can climb for a bird’s-eye view of the woods and wildlife below. — Plan a route to include visits to other state parks along the way, such as a stop to see the Headwaters of the Mississippi River at Itasca State Park. — Pitch a tent at a state forest, where no reservations are needed (or taken). Campsites at state forest campgrounds are all first-come, first-served. Naturalist-led programs. There are more than 100 programs taking place at state parks and trails over Memorial Day Weekend. For example:
      — Guided tours will take place throughout the weekend (and continue daily through Labor Day) at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park in southeastern Minnesota and at Lake Vermilion-Soudan Underground Mine State Park near Ely in the northeast. Because the cave and mine tours are underground, it won’t matter if it rains. Reservations recommended; visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations for more information, including times and prices. —   Free guided tours over, under and through the fascinating rock formations known as glacial potholes will be offered Saturday, Sunday and Monday from noon to 1 p.m. at Interstate State Park. No reservations required. —  Plus, live reptiles, voyageur canoe rides, star programs, and more. For complete listings, check the online calendar. Discovery hikes. Look for deer, birds and wildflowers along one of the many scenic trails at Minnesota state parks and recreation areas. Pick up a Hiking Club kit ($14.95 at park offices), look for “secret passwords” on signs along specially marked trails and earn rewards. Two-wheel tours. Bike one of Minnesota’s many paved state trails. They’re free and mostly flat, because many of them are former railroad routes, and many of them now have trailside tune-up stations, if there is a need to tighten brakes or pump up tires. Find a trailhead at www.mndnr.gov/biking. Paddling. There are 35 state water trails, the newest of which is the 20-mile Shell Rock River. Many of the campsites along Minnesota’s rivers are first-come, first-served and free. See bison. See one herd at Blue Mounds State Park in southwestern Minnesota (and attend a program at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 27, about how the park’s bison herd links directly to the millions of bison that once roamed North America). Or drive through the bison range and see the other herd at Minneopa State Park in Mankato. Fishing. Minnesota residents don’t need a license and can fish for free at most state parks. Many park offices also loan out free fishing equipment for visitors to use. Or for people who have a license, they can wet a line at more than 1,600 fishing piers throughout the state. To find a nearby fishing pier, search by lake or county in the A-Z list at www.mndnr.gov/fishing_piers. Geocaching. Try this high-tech treasure hunt. Many parks loan out GPS units and offer programs to get started, such as the Intro to Geocaching program from 10 to 11 a.m. Monday, May 29, at Wild River State Park. For information, contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Guided public tours of Soudan Underground Mine, the state’s first iron ore mine, will resume for the 2017 season on Memorial Day weekend. Tours will be offered from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, May 27 through Sept. 30, and on weekends only until Oct. 22 at Lake Vermillion – Soudan Underground Mine State Park near Tower.   Underground mine tours take visitors a half-mile down into the mine shaft in a hoisted “cage” and then for a three-quarter-mile train ride into the last and deepest area mined. Mine interpreters share information about the unique, high-quality iron formation and its contribution to the industrialization of the United States and the generations of people who worked in the mine from 1884 to 1962. “About 32,000 people take the underground mine tour each year, and it’s an experience you won’t find anywhere else in Minnesota,” said mine interpreter James Pointer. Guided tours are $12 for adults and $7 for children age 5-12. There is no cost for children under age 5. Hard hats are required and provided for underground tours, and visitors are encouraged to check the park Web page for suggestions about recommended footwear and clothing (it can be chillier than expected in the mine, because the temperature is 51 degrees Fahrenheit year-round). Visitors also can take a free, self-guided tour of the historic mining buildings that are above ground. For information about tours and reservations, visit www.mndnr.gov, email the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or call 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Attend an open house on Thursday, June 22, to help shape the future of St. Croix State Park. The open house will take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the park’s St. Croix Lodge visitor center.  Staff from the Parks and Trails Division at the Department of Natural Resources will be available to answer questions and collect comments on the draft management plan for the park. The master plan will set the direction for the park for the next 15 to 20 years, with recommendations for managing natural and cultural resources and providing recreational and interpretative opportunities to park visitors. Recommendations in the draft plan include: Continuing efforts to restore pine barrens and oak savanna plant communities. Developing more staff-led interpretive programs. Renovating the Paint Rock Springs Campground. Creating new trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding. Designating trails for winter fat biking. The draft plan can be reviewed online. Copies are also available for review at the park office and at the DNR regional office, 1201 E. Hwy. 2, Grand Rapids. Anyone who can’t attend the open house can send comments to jade.templin@state.mn.us or to: MNDNR Parks and Trails Division
      St. Croix Management Plan comments
      500 Lafayette Road Box 39
      St. Paul, MN  55155-4039 The DNR will accept comments through Friday, July 7. Park visitors and the public have already participated in several ways during the development of the draft plan.  The DNR hosted an open house in June to gather initial input.  A citizen advisory committee then met four times over the summer and fall to identify issues and review proposals for the draft plan.  The DNR gathered additional input using an online survey and in-person interviews with park visitors. St. Croix State Park, established in 1943, is the largest Minnesota state park, with more than 34,000 acres of forests, prairie, wetlands and river shoreline. With many of its buildings and other facilities designed by the National Park Service and built by the Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps, the park has been designated a National Historic Landmark.  After a 2011 windstorm caused significant damage, the park has been the focus of numerous restoration efforts. The park has miles of trails for hikers, horseback riders, bicyclists, snowmobilers and cross-country skiers.  Visitors can canoe, boat and fish on the St. Croix River – a National Scenic Riverway – and on the Kettle River, a State Wild and Scenic River.  There are three campgrounds, a horse campground, group camps, cabins and three modern group centers.  The park also has a picnic area, a swimming beach and a fire tower that visitors can climb for a panoramic view. The Matthew Lourey State Trail, which winds through the park, is open to hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking and snowmobiling. Visits to St. Croix State Park totaled more than 292,000 in 2016 (making it Minnesota’s eighth most visited state park) and more than 48,000 of them stayed overnight (second only to Itasca State Park). The park is located 20 miles east of Hinckley on state Highway 48.  For directions and a virtual tour, visit the park’s webpage. For information about the draft management plan, contact Jade Templin, principal planner, 651-259-5598 or jade.templin@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      During the spring “cold water season” of Memorial Day weekend, boaters are reminded that wearing a life jacket is a safety necessity.  While boaters are encouraged to always wear a life jacket no matter the water temperature or season, public safety officials stress that wearing a life jacket – not just having it on the boat – is the one action that significantly increases the chances of surviving a fall into cold water. “The shock of falling into cold water triggers your gasp reflex, which more than likely means inhaling water,” said Lisa Dugan, boating safety representative with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “Wearing a life jacket gives you a fighting chance to get your head above water, stay calm instead of panicking, and call for help before hypothermia sets in.” Despite recent warmer weather, water temperatures statewide are still below 70 degrees – cold enough to cause the gasp reflex and incapacitate even strong swimmers in less than one minute. In Minnesota, more than 30 percent of boating fatalities occur on cold water, and accident records show the victims are disproportionately male. “Over the past decade, we’ve seen a steady and troubling trend that indicates men between the ages of 20 and 60 are the most likely to drown while boating, and are the least likely to be wearing a life jacket,” Dugan said. “Cold water drowning victims in Minnesota are also much more likely to be anglers than any other type of recreational boater. Add this up, and it’s clear that if male anglers were to put their safety first and put on their life jackets, a significant percentage of boating deaths could easily be prevented.” Before the first launch of the season, anglers are also reminded to review boating regulations, inspect their watercraft and gear, enlist a mechanic to check exhaust systems for potential carbon monoxide leaks, and verify motorboats are equipped with the following: U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable life jackets for each person onboard (children under 10 must wear a properly fitting life jacket while underway). A throwable flotation device on boats 16 feet or longer. A horn or a whistle. Type B, U.S. Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher. Navigation lights in working order. Valid boat registration, with numbers visible. Watercraft can be registered in person at any deputy registrar of motor vehicles, at the DNR License Center in St. Paul, or online at mndnr.gov/licenses. Further details, including boater education requirements and information on preventing carbon monoxide poisoning while boating, can be found at mndnr.gov/boatingsafety. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Tom Buckles
      Any west end reports?
    • Neutz68
      Walleyeslayer25,   Group of us going up this weekend as well.. Sounds like Jig and minnow along shallow shoreline points, windswept shorelines and also some deeper water. We usually jig and pull Lindy rigs.. Always have decent luck fishing of the docks with slip bobbers too.  Check out www.gatewaygeneral.com.  There is a weekly fishing report posted on the website. 
    • HugeHogChaser
      Thanks all! It is coming with a 25 hp, but i also have a 15 HP which i may switch out for a better fit. Ill keep you guys updated. 
    • Walleyeslayer25
      Anyone have any recent reports for kab. I'm heading up this weekend and wondering where to start?