• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Leaking

wondering if any one has any suggestion on stopping a small leak in the from of my boat. its a 14ft aluminum. what can I use?

right now its a small, slow leak. want to take care of it before it gets worse. Thanks in advance

Your best bet is to check out a boat forum or two. I can't give you the name of any, per the FM policy. However, if I were to do a quick job I would either use some marine sealant or use some JB weld. Your best bet is to find a buddy or a shop who will weld a patch in there for you.

But for a temporary fix, I'd just buy some $5 marine sealant at the store.

I had the same problem with the same size/style of boat oddly enough. I redid the rivets and put in some silicone, that should've did the trick...I'll find out on sunday.

I have also had the same problem, they have some good stuff at cabellas, just ask someone.

My crack/leak was huge and nothing would patch it for long so I ended up getting some industrial aluminum putty from my dad's work that has worked great. But this is very expensive and I dont think it is availbe at any stores, so I would try cabella's, I know they have something that works good I just forgot its name.

If you don't have the wood decks, etc., try the roll or spray on bedliners (in a lighter color) and coat the inside of the boat. If you can't get to the leaky rivets - get rid of it and buy something welded!! Personally I will never go back to rivets again.

Must be an Alumicraft??? blush.gif

I have heard of several leakers from the gaskets shrinking or otherwise degrading and coming out.

Some auto parts stores carry a 2-part metal epoxy. It's in the sealant department. It's a 'roll' of 2 different materials. Cut off what you need, knead it together, and plug the hole. Make sure you scuff the surface first so the epoxy will bite. I've had this stuff below the water line for over 10 years. It's kewl!

TC

Best way is to re-rivet. Second way(cheaper/easier way), park boat trailer on car on flat surface, water your boat up and see which on is leaking. I magic marker/crayola the spot and run to fleet farm. I bought this epoxy "ALUMINUM" stick. Look in the boat section, its about 6-7 inches long in a platic clear tube. Forgot what its called, but its a long gray color roll, runs about a few bucks, 10 at most. Sand the spot down and make its a clean surface/dry also. Cut a chunk of epoxy and knead it until its really soft and work it over the area. Hardens within 30mins to and hour. ROck solid. Lasted me this whole season so far. Had a buddy with a fiberglass leak and Only thing we had was that and so far he hasn't had to patch the glass back yet so its really strong. I believe this stuff is way better than the gel stuff.

I've had luck with good 'ol bondo myself, just make sure ya sand any paint and such off first.

Rhino or another kind of truck bed liner... make sure the boat is nice & dry inside and do the complete interior. It'll wear like iron & also seal up anything that's leaking. Not to mention it'll give you a nice grippy floor.

Powdered milk, it's cheaper than anything else and it works. Had an old 12' alum. Smokercraft and I would pour a box of powdered milk on the area, let it dry hose it down and leak fixed, if you don't believe me ask any farmer that has used a car battery as an arch welder.

Thx everyone for all your ideas. I did get the boat leak fixed. what I used is JD Weld... works good... thx again everyone