Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daze Off

Rum River Lately?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone been out on the lower Rum in the past couple of weeks? Anything happening to speak of? IT's ben two weeks or more since I was out there and am thinking of trying it out this weekend.

Daze Off

A buddy & I waded the river this past Saturday. We did ok, landed around 15-17 smallies and 3 northerns. All of the smallies were small, nothing bigger than 12 inches. 2 of the pike were around the 3lb range.

We both had fun with the smallies but just couldnt find the big ones.

DT10

Thanks DT - not sure whether to give it a try or not yet - might be a few more weeks yet before things get rolling again on the Rum...

Trouble is I'm not sure where else to go where fishing isn't slow(er) right now.

Daze Off

Stop on over when you're on the creek, we'll watch the wake board jerks and drink beer.

Wouldn't mind that at all!

Daze Off

Did the Rum for a few hours last night with poor results - only a bunch of dinks. Could not find the better fish or figure out what to toss to get them to bite.

Water is the dirtiest I have ever seen it - lots of clumps of algae and other scum floating down river that looks like sewage. Yech! Gonna have to chip it off the boat...

Daze Off

I think it's just that time of year. Summer peak! Too much real food to hit a whatever.

I went to Stieger last night and caught 2. 1 was 18.5" though grin.gif

Nicely done, EB! I'm scheduled to hit the Rum again with a guy on Weds eve for one more attempt to find 'em but I think there is supposed to be some pretty big wind arriving at that time so it may be in doubt.

Daze Off

15-25 MPH tomorrow from the SSW. But in the rum go around the corner to get out of said wind. Of course around the other corner it's a wind tunnel - LOL Good Luck!

I'm going out tonight - it's revenge for my buddy that's been skunked twice. Will this be a Three-peat?

Anyone have any current Rum River updates? I'd like to hit it one more time this summer, but I am unsure of the water levels/current.

I'm going to try to hit the Rum in the next couple of days and will gladly post the results.

Daze Off

I went over the Rum in St. Francis today, there were 2 guys wading it downriver, at the same time I saw a family, I guess of people going over the bridge at a hurried pace rods and fishing equipment in hand. Sorry I could only think the worst. frown.gif

River was up from last week, almost went down there with my work truck rod but had stuff to do. Yes I keep a rod in the truck, ya never know when you just have to get out of the truck to investigate the river. grin.gif

I like your thinking MS! cool.gif

Daze Off

I was mostly likely one of those guys you seen wading. A buddy and I went for about 3 hours with one smallie, 1 northern, and a couple carp. No real size but fun. We also seen that family but they didn't stay long. I think the hurry was to get everyones attention. smile.gif They also went home empty handed and I didn't see them land a single thing.

Quote:

We also seen that family but they didn't stay long. I think the hurry was to get everyones attention.
smile.gif
They also went home empty handed and I didn't see them land a single thing.

AWE SHUCKS!!! blush.gifwink.gif

My first thought was the bridges on Minnetonka I used to see many years ago and the baskets of fish they would bring out. mad.gif

Fished the Rum yesterday afternoon for about 4 hours and wound up with about a total of 4 dinks - three of which barely lived up to dink-status. More like on the verge of minnow class. VERY slow - at least for us. Have no idea where the big girls went, what they want, or when they will be back....

We threw jig/plastic, senkos, tubes, lizards, cranks, flukes, ring fry, drop shot, topwaters, chatterbaits and the kitchen sink and NADA....

Daze Off

last saturday near st. francis i got a couple of 18" smallies and a dozen others under 15".

all on a vibrax spinner

Might have to try that - are you fishing fast water? I actually thought about in-line spinners but have never really had a lot of luck with them. Maybe I'm fishing them wrong??

We fished from the Anoka dam to about 2 miles north of the fairgrounds and the water is slow and deep generally.

Daze Off

not really i just casted mostly into slack water behind some obstructions. behind boulders were the most productive.

I'll give it a whirl again and see if I can get something to hit it - there really is hardly enough current down this way to produce slack water much - mostly on the downriver side of bridges. Almost no rock down here - at least of boulder size - some gravel and smaller stuff is pretty much all. Biggest stuff I know of is at the bottom of large deep hole for the most part. Some stuff around some bridges too but nothing out in the main stream.

Depths range from around 3 ft to 15 ft. with most being between 5-8 ft.You can pretty much cast a buzzbait straight at the bank and bring it back without a bow in your line from current.

Daze Off

Ive always had all my luck down there pitching jigs in wood, kinda like pool 2

That has always been my primary method but this year has been pretty poor on that particular technique. Chnaged colors and sizes with no improvement. Not sure what the deal is.

Now that trailer is back on the road I am going to give it a whirl in the next few days again hoping with the cooling water things will improve.

Daze Off

This year has been poor for me everywhere with a jig... well for smallies anyway crazy.gif