Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikL

Fishing Report 7/21 - 7/24

6 posts in this topic

Just got back from my first trip to Rainy. I figured that after all the info I got off this board that I owed at least a report. The eyes were biting so great that now I feel really bad because I only live an hour and a half away and never fished this lake before. It was PERFECT!! Water was dead calm, loons were calling and the eyes were on the BITE.

I fished the east end and found most of my fish on mid-lake reefs in about 38 feet, I did catch a few in 45 and one in 50. Most of the mid-day fish came on lindys with a red bead and chartruse hook tipped with a leech. Early morning and late evening the bite was so hot that I used an orange 1/8 ounce jig on my ultra lite and just had some fun. I will have to say, I think the 4lb test made a difference. The only bad thing was getting any keepers. The smallest walleye I caught in four days of fishing was 14", the average was about 20"!!! CRAZY. I really could not believe it. Lots of 17.5... just a hair too big for the pan, I did eat fish for dinner every night so I can't complain. Not too much advise for catching fish, just don't waste your time on any spots where your not graphing anything. The edges of reefs next to deep water almost always held fish.

Good Luck, Erik

thanks for the report I will be there Saturday for 1 week. I can use all the help I can get!!!!

HEY CATCH,

I WOULD BRING ALONG CRAWLERS, FISH THEM WITH A LINDY, AND YOU CAN BREAK THE CRAWLERS IN 2, FOR QUICK HOOK SETS. CRAWLERS ARE HOT...REAL HOT!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fished the 26-28 and fishing was fairly slow for us. Scouted a bunch of reefs and only a few held fish. And of those few only one or two held active fish. Did decent trolling cranks in the evening in 5-10ft of water our final evening, caught 12 fish with 25 and a couple 24's. I was hoping the deep reef bite would have been better for us, just couldn't get the fish to go.

What is the type of shiner in Rainy that is extremely silver in color? We somehow snagged two of them one evening on our cranks, they had to have been thick where we were trolling. I haven't seen shiners that "shiny" before.

Sounds like you got into a thick ball of ciscos.

Uffda or FM or another of the regulars might confirm this.

In Lake Michigan (I'm from Chicago) our super shiney baitfish are smelt.

Hi Flick - what you saw were smelt which are a primary forage fish in Rainy.

Did you find any spiny water fleas on your line while trolling?