• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What can you tell me about British Labradors?

svttom01

I am looking at either getting a new lab puppy or younger dog, preferably under two or three years old. I have been reading articles on British Labs and they seem to fit what I am looking for in another hunting partner - size, disposition, hunting style (flushers with body/tail movements similar to a spaniel). Does anyone here have any experience with British Labradors as owners or someone that has hunted over them? Granted, bloodlines and lineage play a big factor in the dog itself, but I would like to know more first hand knowledge. Thanks for any opinions (positive or not) and suggestions!

There are a few British Lab owners here, I have had mine for just over 3 years. Mine has lived up to my expectations as a family pet and hunting companion. I trained mine using "British training" methods, the disposition of the dogs lends itself to a slightly different approach.

Mine has proved to be adept at pheasant, grouse, and excels with waterfowl. Mine just lives for water. One of the gentlest dogs around young kids I have witnessed. The best thing I can say is that I will buy another when the time comes.

Good luck in your search for a dog that fits your expectations.

Dan

We've been breeding and training British Labradors for a number of years here at Royalty British Kennels. We started with American Labs, but after reading about British Labs and visiting numerous kennels throughout the US, we decided that British was the way to go.

British Labs are typically smaller in stature than American Labs - a big British male is about 65 pounds, we've got females as small as 40 pounds. They are excellent hunters, much more focused on hunting for you, not for themselves. They are eager to please and much easier to train than other dogs. And they are absolutely phenomenal house dogs, not destructive, very calm and relaxed.

We tell everyone that is considering the purchase of a dog to visit all the kennels that are potential candidates and see what the facility is like, and what the dogs are like. We've got a state-of-the-art facility that is unlike anything you'll see, and we have about 40 dogs - all the way from 8 week old pups to 6 year old adult dogs, as well as parents and grandparents of a lot of our dogs. Please feel free to contact us if you'd like more information.

I also have a British Lab. 1 year old now. Great pup. Although I do not hunt at all she is a great family dog. Very easily trained, calm in the house, great around kids. She is great in the boat and she also is only 43 lbs. I dont think she is going to grown anymore. A perfect house dog. I also used the same book that dbl stated above and found it very easy to train her. Just stay with it and make sure that they know that you are the boss and they have to listen to you.

DBL you still have to bring over you dog to play with mine some time.

I have a Brit lab also and have to say every dog I own from here on out will be a Brit. Mine is a year and 4 months old and my daughter just turned 11 months old. I can tell you from that experience that these dogs are great around kids. If I knew how I would show you some photos for proof. As far as hunting they are top notch. I hunted over one of his older brothers while upland hunting and knew I had to have one. The drive on these dogs is like nothing I have ever seen. I know its in the breeding but I have heard and seen from other brit dog/owners that this is what these dogs are all about. I used him at 6 months old in s.d. and around here many times pheasant hunting and he has that drive. I have been training my dog the same as I would any lab and it's going great. Started force fetch at around 7 months and followed that with collar conditioning. These dogs are very eager to learn and pick up things very fast. Mine is 59 lbs as of his last vet visit last week. I try to work him hard and keep him thin all year. Cant wait for the hunting seasons. I have put in a lot of time this summer working on our waterfowl hunting and cant wait to see him perform since I only got him out once last fall.

I have owned three labs with this being my first Brit and to me it is night and day.

Good luck wink.gif

LovenLifeGuy

• 2 weeks later...

UKLABS,

John is that you? I'm Bill, Scott Thu's neighbor. I was up with Scott and our boy's last year. Had a great hunt and you facility is top notch. Nice to see your a member of the site. Put the picture of our hunt up here if you can to show everyone what you have to offer.