Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfishin21

Duluth Area

5 posts in this topic

So I will be in the Duluth area for 4 days in early August and was just wondering what lake you guys would recommend fishing for walleyes around Duluth?

I was debating between Fish, Island, and Boulder Lake…Also what kind of bait and depth would you guys recommend? Thanks for the input.

St. Louis River is the best walleye fishery around these parts and right in Duluth/Superior. Troll spinner rigs on bottom bouncers with crawlers in and out of channel edges and you will do fine.

Each lake will have its own pattern come the dog days.

Slip bob the weeds on Rice lake with a leech.

Island lake, think deep with a crawler harness or rigging.

Fish lake, cover ground by trolling cranks in the main basin.

I abandon the humps at that time of year and work the flats. Keep your eye on the sounder for the slightest eye holding structure like wood, rocks and bumps, then use your GPS or marker bouy to work them over with a jig and leech or slip bob.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Hey Northlander, as for as the St. Louis River goes, is all you need to fish that is a Minnesota license? Or do you need a Wisconsin License in some spots?

How far up in the river do you go? Do you ever fish that Spirit Lake that is futher down from the St. Louis River? Once again thanks for the help...

You can fish the river with a MN. License.

I fish everything on the river. The deeper channel bends and weedy edges of them are where its at right now. By deep I mean from the weed edges down to 35-40'. A 3-4 oz. bottom bouncer is a must have.

Spirit Lake is very weedy now and can be very hard to fish and even get into if you dont know it really well. I recomend you fish the cahnnel edges around it. If you do try to venture into spirit make sure you take the old channel in. Dont try to cross any place else or the stumps and or weeds will get ya.

I trolled the Barkers Island area for 3 hours the other night and all I caught were 2 big pike and 1 16" walleye.

Any current areas should also be looked at as the deep waters below the Oliver Bridge hold fish this time of year.

A floating rap on a 3 way rig or bouncer will get ya a few in that area.

Good luck and have fun.

By the way Spirit Lake is right in the middle of the St. Louis River. I dont know what you are talking about when you say spirit lake in your post. Maybe you are thinking Alouiz Bay? A.B. is down all the way past the Wi. Entry to Lake Superior. Pretty Shallow and warm this time of year. Lots of weeds but at times you can get a few out of there this time of year.