Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heartman

Rez boundary on the water - what is it? GPS?

19 posts in this topic

Went looking online to find the gps data to identify the Red Lake Rez boundary on the waters of Upper Red Lake, and could not find it. Any idea why this is so? Maybe I missed it someplace? I checked the Red Lake Tribe website and could not find it.

Just take the time to do a search of the archives. The cords for the Reservation Line have been posted many, many times. It took me almost 10 seconds to find this one.

"Meadow Creek" on 1-25-07.

"If you stay east of 94 43.000 you will be close to the reservation line, but safe enough to avoid any misunderstandings with our Red Lake fishing partners to the west."

"Ralph Wiggum" on 1-10-07,

"State anglers: The actual boundary is not a true north-south line. To simplify, it is recommended that State anglers stay east of the longitudinal coordinate of 94° 43' 12.0" W to ensure they are on State waters."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Kelly. I wonder where you could find out those coordinates on the Tribal website. Who knows, maybe they don't publish it?

In any case, now I've the info I needed. Take care.

MN DNR put out a yellow flyer that you see all over the place up here with slot info on one side and boundry info on the other.

That's a nice courtesy move by the MNDNR. It helps.

You would think they would just put out marker buoys like we use to mark channels around here. It would stop all the confusion and need for GPS coords. Not everyone has GPS yet.

Heck they could even stay out in the winter if needed.

I think they should take down there borders and just let us in to fish frown.gif , but we all know that wont happen. Would they like it if we fenced off an area and said they arent allowed. Sorry I had to say it, even though I knew I shouldnt have!

I guess that would be too easy...although it would be a good idea.

The legal jar of leeches that may open however, for the State/DNR, is that it makes a legal statement one way or the other, as to how far their jurisdiction actually goes.

Either the buoys would be a statement that this is the limit of their jurisdiction, or that their jurisdiction extends beyond, but that they are limiting/restricting access beyond.

Either way sure to bring about howls of protest and threats of lawsuits.

I still vote for buoys. They mark all kinds of other hazards, why not this?? confused.gif

I think it could bring about a greater measure of respect, and reasonableness.

Trouble is bouys on Upper Red Lake just do not work, notice all of the canal markers are drove in and not bouys? The only bouys on the lake are for the cribs and they are running wild all of the time. They have to be moved back to their starting point several times a year.

It would take a army of bouys to mark the 9+ miles across the lake that the line runs and making sure a few of those didn't move to the west during a storm would take huge resources. Then who is going to go onto closed water and bring them back?

...Oh all right...no need to use common sense and good practical knowledge in these posts. We're looking for a little irrational exuberance here. wink.gif

If you would get your pet gators to stop biting the chains through, then Fosters Seals could'nt play volleyball with the markers, and you would'nt have buoys behaving badly all over the place! blush.gif

You do have a good point though with the cribs ...a line of cribs... with canal type markers driven in...it just might work??? And that Army you were talking about, could they do the work?? crazy.gif

there's still some disagreement about the exact boundary, too. Going back to the treaties in the 1880's. Makes for interesting reading.

Here's the way I look at it... why would the band put out bouys to mark their line? They aren't trying to keep their members in. They look at it as your responsibility to know where you're at... not theirs.

We don't have bouys separating America from Canada on the Rainey, LOW or Lake Superior.

Good Luck!

Ken

Yes, but any map of those areas will have the CAN/USA boundary clearly marked.

Plenty of maps giving you the "line"... but w/o GPS coordinates that'll do you no good, and w/ Coords and no GPS, that'd do you no good also.

I don't think there are GPS coordinates for every inch of the Rainey River, or Lake Superior, it's up to you to know where you are at. It's not up to Canada to provide that information to you. Looking at a map and being on the water figuring out where you are on the map isn't very accurate...

Good Luck!

Ken

Remember that it is only the past decade where it has become common for anglers to have GPS. Prior to that lots of people fished Upper Red with very few border issues. There is plenty of water to fish without ever getting near the line. If you don't have GPS just don't risk it.

It used to be easy to find the line thats where the 5 miles of gill nets were set.

Wow! shocked.gif

Quote:

You would think they would just put out marker buoys like we use to mark channels around here. It would stop all the confusion and need for GPS coords. Not everyone has GPS yet.

Heck they could even stay out in the winter if needed.

I agree with you, Northlander... but it just doesn't pay to be anywhere near a Rez boundary -- land or water -- without a GPS unit you have confidence in. A few years back, groups of 'shinobs' were harassing grouse hunters on forest roads in the area. Don't know if they were just bored juveniles looking for excitement, or if they actually had tribal council support... either way, it was comforting to have my Garmin along to tell me exactly where I was.

Incidentally, if your vehicle or boat is stopped by Rez enforcement officers, and you believe you are on state land or water, get an SOS with coordinates out to the DNR or county sheriff's department. You may be able to convince them to come to the scene...

Quote:

I don't think there are GPS coordinates for every inch of the Rainey River, or Lake Superior, it's up to you to know where you are at. It's not up to Canada to provide that information to you.

With all due respect, there's a considerable difference in integrity and professionalism between the OPP or Canadian Customs and the Red Lake Rez police.

Quote:

Trouble is bouys on Upper Red Lake just do not work, notice all of the canal markers are drove in and not bouys?

------------------------------------------------------------

Johny buoys stay where they are put if done properly. Lake Superior gets way worse than Red does and the buoys stay put down here.

Just a idea. It would sure make it easier on everyone.