Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gus

registration and selling a trailer

3 posts in this topic

I have an old trailer that I want to sell but I have no idea where the paperwork for the registration is. It has the permanent sticker on the tounge. Can I just write the buyer a bill of sale and have them take that to the DMV? Anybody gone through this before? Thanks.

Take the sticker number to the DMV. They can look up anything registered to you by using your DL number. You can get a form to transfer the title.

Its surprising how lenient the DMV is with transferring ownership/registration of trailers and recreational vehicles. blush.gif

With a trailer, all you'll need is the plate # or the sticker #. It should have the lifetime trailer tongue sticker assuming the registration is current. If it still has plates, they'll need to pay for the lifetime license.

The buyer will have to pay sales tax on the trailer when they go to the DMV to register it. Seller is "supposed" to sign something as well.

If you want to be proactive, go down to the DMV and tell them you have a trailer you are selling and they should provide you with all the details.

Simple Bill of Sale is a good idea as well.