Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherman-andy

Damaged fishing lines?

13 posts in this topic

Ok I just bought a new spool of 6lbs Berkley Trilene XT red fishing line. Before it was spooled on with Fireline.

Im noticing that the line keeps stripping or breaking off strips. I check my fishing pole and shimano spinning reel. I am thinking that the pulley or bearing where the fishing line wraps and runs up the pole is somehow stripping the line when the drag is spinning.

Problem is I haven't noticed this before even before I spooled fireline on the same reel & pole.

So is it a bad batch of of fishing line that I bought then?

It could be a bad spool of line, I have had that before. It could also maybe be the guides/eyes on your rod that might be cutting the line as well. Take a q-tip and run it around each guide, it will snag if there are any cuts or rough spots on the guides. Just an idea to check.

Great idea Lund4ver! I was kind of leaning along the same lines. Some of those super lines can be tough on guides.

I have had some bad spools of line. Actually you can take back the line if it is breaking or being stripped like that. They may tell you sorry, no. But sometimes its worth a shot. I had 30# line that was snapping when I was casting and not at the knot. They took that back.

I have had problems with my bobber stop stripping Berkley XL, but since I have switched to suffix I have had no problems. I has far less memory as well.

I was looking at the tip of the rod. It's a rod I bought over at gander mountain. It's an actual gander mountain rod IM6 advantage graphite.

Anyhow upon inspection looks like a little piece of the ring which encloses inside wall of the eye tip broke off without me knowing. I took a pair of pliers and broke off the rest of the inside ring. Now only the metal tip eye is exposed since it no longers has the inner ring guide. It doesn't seem to damage the line when I run the line up it down it forcefully other than me stretching the line. But that have to wait and test it out first on the water.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Andy,

If it is a GS rod just take it back & get a new one. No questions asked! They will just replace the rod.

Tight Lines,

SportFishin'

Quote:

Hey Andy,

If it is a GS rod just take it back & get a new one. No questions asked! They will just replace the rod.

Tight Lines,

SportFishin'

It is a guide series rod. But I never registered warranty or anything nor do I have the receipt. I had this rod for like 2yrs now or so. Will they still replace it?

Yes they should. No receipt needed. No questions asked. Plus if it ruined your line, they may even respool your reel. I would anyways.

Which Gander do you go to?

I bought the rod over at the Apple Valley/Lakeville area Gander Mountain. But I live closer to the one in Maplewood. I think I will take it down there instead. Thx guys!

My buddy works over at Gander in Maplewood. They don't require a reciept they will give you a new one free of charge if it is a guide series.

I will only be buying guide seriese just for this reason, they seem to be good rods as well.

FYI - Not much selection left @ the Maplewood Gander as it will be turned into a catalog/internet store on 9/1...

According to my understanding, the feedback I received here from these post are against forum policy rules awkward as that may sound. confused.gif

Thx for all heads up LuckBites. Im going to a different GM to get my rod fixed or exchanged and then heading out to the waters after that to fish a small metro lake. grin.gif

I found out last night that it does depend on what type of rod you have. The low end Guide Series rods don't have the lifetime warranty. You'll just have to bring it in and see.

Yep, the Gander in Maplewood is undergoing some transformations. The selection is getting poor. I believe they will be closing for remodeling the first week of September.