• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Damaged fishing lines?

fisherman-andy

Ok I just bought a new spool of 6lbs Berkley Trilene XT red fishing line. Before it was spooled on with Fireline.

Im noticing that the line keeps stripping or breaking off strips. I check my fishing pole and shimano spinning reel. I am thinking that the pulley or bearing where the fishing line wraps and runs up the pole is somehow stripping the line when the drag is spinning.

Problem is I haven't noticed this before even before I spooled fireline on the same reel & pole.

So is it a bad batch of of fishing line that I bought then?

It could be a bad spool of line, I have had that before. It could also maybe be the guides/eyes on your rod that might be cutting the line as well. Take a q-tip and run it around each guide, it will snag if there are any cuts or rough spots on the guides. Just an idea to check.

Great idea Lund4ver! I was kind of leaning along the same lines. Some of those super lines can be tough on guides.

I have had some bad spools of line. Actually you can take back the line if it is breaking or being stripped like that. They may tell you sorry, no. But sometimes its worth a shot. I had 30# line that was snapping when I was casting and not at the knot. They took that back.

I have had problems with my bobber stop stripping Berkley XL, but since I have switched to suffix I have had no problems. I has far less memory as well.

I was looking at the tip of the rod. It's a rod I bought over at gander mountain. It's an actual gander mountain rod IM6 advantage graphite.

Anyhow upon inspection looks like a little piece of the ring which encloses inside wall of the eye tip broke off without me knowing. I took a pair of pliers and broke off the rest of the inside ring. Now only the metal tip eye is exposed since it no longers has the inner ring guide. It doesn't seem to damage the line when I run the line up it down it forcefully other than me stretching the line. But that have to wait and test it out first on the water.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Andy,

If it is a GS rod just take it back & get a new one. No questions asked! They will just replace the rod.

Tight Lines,

SportFishin'

Quote:

Hey Andy,

If it is a GS rod just take it back & get a new one. No questions asked! They will just replace the rod.

Tight Lines,

SportFishin'

It is a guide series rod. But I never registered warranty or anything nor do I have the receipt. I had this rod for like 2yrs now or so. Will they still replace it?

Yes they should. No receipt needed. No questions asked. Plus if it ruined your line, they may even respool your reel. I would anyways.

Which Gander do you go to?

I bought the rod over at the Apple Valley/Lakeville area Gander Mountain. But I live closer to the one in Maplewood. I think I will take it down there instead. Thx guys!

My buddy works over at Gander in Maplewood. They don't require a reciept they will give you a new one free of charge if it is a guide series.

I will only be buying guide seriese just for this reason, they seem to be good rods as well.

FYI - Not much selection left @ the Maplewood Gander as it will be turned into a catalog/internet store on 9/1...

According to my understanding, the feedback I received here from these post are against forum policy rules awkward as that may sound. confused.gif

Thx for all heads up LuckBites. Im going to a different GM to get my rod fixed or exchanged and then heading out to the waters after that to fish a small metro lake. grin.gif

I found out last night that it does depend on what type of rod you have. The low end Guide Series rods don't have the lifetime warranty. You'll just have to bring it in and see.

Yep, the Gander in Maplewood is undergoing some transformations. The selection is getting poor. I believe they will be closing for remodeling the first week of September.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.