Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
perchking

First Week in Feb Trip TO LOW

12 posts in this topic

The past 7 years I have brought up a group of guys to Upper Red and now everyone wants a little change. I am going to set up a Trip to LOW but I have no idea where to go. Some things we like are, FISH of course, quality over quantity, Sleepers on the ice, drive our own vehicles on the ice, maybe a tavern or 2 close enough to drive to, and I guess that is about it. I know my criteria is a little specific but I usually bring anywhere from 15-22 guys and everybody likes it a little different. I am just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

PERCHKING

anybody?

OK. Any,and all of the advertisers on this website are all sources for fish houses,and all the information there is needed to get on to fish.Rocky Point,Long point,wheelers point,etc. are also good places to try. choose one and get your gear to have a good time winter fishing the lake.

Any of the fine resorts will be good places to rent out of. If you have that many people looking for something different this is the area to go. You can fish LOW during the day, head to Red for the evening if you want, or you can Run tip-ups in shallow, or fish walleyes on the Rainy River for more fun!

I personally would bring portables and gear to be mobile. that way if the fishing is slow in the houses you can move around and find them. You can also move in shallow for the evening bite as well.

Ask around at the resorts and see what they think! Jump back in here and ask a few questions too. There are lots of knowledgeable people here!

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Depends on what you wan to do - If you want to enjoy the bar scene, any of the resorts on the river will work for you. If you want to be a little more secluded, I would recommend Arnesen's. The guides are second to none, the food is excellent and they always treat you well. I have been going up there for 13 years now and can't complain. If you want more details, drop me a line at robert (Contact Us Please) nathe at target.

haha, I was just looking on the board for that same reason! Been going to Upper Red, but we got hit with a snowstorm last year and couldnt get off the lake to hit the bar for awhile.....we all ended up w/ severe cabin fever so now we're going to LOW, but we're using day houses so we can eat decent food at night.

Arnesen's is the best on the lake in my opinion. I have always had good trips out of there operation. They have some of the best people on the lake. Plus they have a hugh selection of areas to fish right near the resort. Where as other places have maybe just a couple options Arnesen's has a hugh selection to choose from.

If you know the right resorts (Sounds like Portsmans), sometimes they will throw in a free trip for the organizer! It's worth it. They have a few places close enough to walk to if you want to change scenery, food is great, live bands almost every night......what else could a group of guys want on a trip to LOW! Have Fun!

Thanks GOTFISH I might ask, I guess it never hurts...

Yeah we usually have a blast....

Just be sure to get your reservations done soon. All places on LOW are popular (as they should be) and book up quick.

I had a very bad experience at Arnenson's after several good years there and will not go back. It is also far from any other resort. We have been going to several on the Zippel bay resort which means several bars, bait stores and you can drive out on a very well maintained road to bring your own gear or use rentals. In my opinion the best is Sportsman's, however it is the most expensive. However for my money I really like Cyrus resort. Owned by a nice couple who have gone out of their way on our 3 trips there and I can only say nice things about the resort now that some much needed repairs/updating to the cabins have been completed.

Oakdale, curious what it was that made your experience at Arnesens a poor one? First time poster, so I had to ask you that because 4 of us are looking at Arnesens for sleepers this winter. Thanks in advance.