Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddy

Poor Man's Downrigger

5 posts in this topic

Looking for advice on trolling deep tail dancers or using snap weight systems. I tried both around 16 mile reef on Sunday and caught nothing, not sure if I was doing something wrong. What size weight, how much line, how fast?? Any suggestions appreciated.

Don't be discouraged, it takes some practice to do this. Sometimes it takes an hour or seven to figure them out. I'd start with 140' out (I use 14# fireline). That should get you to about 29' down. Experiment 20' either way if you aren't getting fish, usually up before down. As far as fish location, they can be anywhere in that 27' to 35' transition area, it's just a search thing. Work all ranges until you find some fish. Some days they are totally off the reef in adjacent deep water, or are on top of the reefs where deep diving cranks are not that effective. Some days they are everywhere blush.gif, so go figure. As far as speed, 2.0 to 3.5 mph gps is my range- 2.5 is a good start. Skip the snap weights if you are new to this, it can get snaggy if you get close to the rocks. They work, but they seem to snag up easier and stick where most flatline snags come loose after backtracking. Hope this helps,

toddb

buddy, A friend of mine uses a 3oz snap weight 30 ft ahead of a TD 9 in 30 plus ft of water. Around 2.5 mph DON'T try this around the rocks or you'll go broke buying tackle!! Last Sat. there were a lot of 18 to 22 ft boats pulling plugs out in "the mud", not all had downriggers on so I'm asumming that they were long lining. If you get up this weekend give me a call on ch 6 and let me know how it's going. Pat

This is what I tried and it ended up working. Was on Mille Lacs fishing some flats pulling spinner, no luck. Buddy and I wanted to run raps, but did not have the riggers with us. We tied a 12 oz inline weight to the line and a 10' leader from that to the rap. The cool thing about using that heavy of weights is you could see them on the Lowrance. We set the depth off of the graph, guessing how deep the rap was running off the weight. We got on fish after some experimenting with depth. No one was catching fish and we were. Funny thing about 15 minutes later 4 other boats were trolling around, imagine that. With this set up, make sure you have a heavy enough rod and a long handled net. We had a net that extends out 3 times the length of the handle, mostly use this salmon fishing. Good Luck, worked for us.

I fished last week on LOW used lead core for the first time in my life with 40 feet of ten pound mono and had a great week! All lenghts include the 40 foot of mono. I was running about 180 - 190 feet in 26 feet of water and 240 feet in 34 feet of water with SR-7 Shads. My wife and I had 7 over 26 inches from Tuesday through Friday and one Northern around 37 inches. The largest Walleye was 29.5". My trolling speed was at 2.2 - 2.4 mph. Good Luck!

I fished 16 mile last week and caught nothing the entire week! Marked a lot of fish on the West side 16 mile and tried everyting but nothing would bite! Keep heading north towards Stoney or Garden to find nice schools of fish that had no issue hitting the SR-7 Shads!