• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AD I hope

fishin58

Well a lot of NFL people are saying Adrian is gonna hold out!! His agent has said he has been cleared and deserves top three money..What do u guys think?? I think as a true viking fan we stole him in the draft, so I guess we should be happy about that and pay him? Or the other side of the coin fight with him for the next month and end up paying a little less.But to have him miss camp(doesn't seem worth it) It seems he has a good head on HIS shoulders, I hope no little birdies are whispering in his ears!! ALL DAY or not?

I hope he signs soon and gets to camp for two reasons.

1. He needs to get into camp as soon as possible to learn the new system.

2. I'm going to be at camp next week and I really want to see this kid in action with my own two eyes. grin.gif

I really don't care what they pay him, just get it done. I have a feeling that we as viking fans are going to see the most talent this team has had at running back since Chuck Forman. And I for one can't wait for the season to start.

True, but these guys should have to prove their worth in the NFL first. Plus he has had injuries in college...this would make me weary of giving him top 3 money.

If he was drafted in the top three he'd get top three money, that's kind of the way the whole deal works, you get what your spot is worth... Get your contract signed and get to camp rookie!!! mad.gif

There should be a maximum each rookie can make, since they arent proven. Something reasonable like 1 million first yr, 2 million second yr, then if they are good go wild.

I agree, they should be able to live with that salary. What do they need that they think they deserve 20 million right away? I dont care if you proved yourself in college, that's why you went for free!

I guess I can see it from both persepctives. The rookies are just trying to get as much guaranteed as they can becuase they know that a typical NFL career is really short. Most rookies don't even complete their rookie deal. They can be cut at any time and the contract is voided, so they need to get as much as they can as soon as they can.

On the opposite end of the spectrum the NBA rookies don't get much say in how much they get paid but much more of them will make it to there second contract, besides every penny of the contract is guaranteed, as soon as they sign they can bank on that money, its just not so in the NFL.

Its easy to say that they should just sign and prove themselves first. But they are all just playing the game, like they say don't hate the player hate the game. Any one of you would try to get as much cash upfront as possible, I know I would becuase in the NFL you are always one hit away from serving up fries at McDonalds.

Quote:

becuase in the NFL you are always one hit away from serving up fries at McDonalds.

Or going falling back to what you went to collage for. And working like the rest of us.

Or being a star, earning millions, then going into commentary, making more millions, and wonder why they ever needed college.

Quote:

Or going falling back to what you went to collage for. And working like the rest of us

I think the average person is just jealous of atheletes, we would all want the money if we could get it. They have the rare talent that can earn them alot of money, I can't get mad at them for doing it. I certainly would if I was only bigger, faster, stronger, and could catch or throw a football.

Your right I am jealous, but I am not greedy. If I was offered $1 million to play sports for a year with the chance I wouldnt be able to the next year because I got injured,I would still enjoy my $$. Not complain and say I am not going to play for that low amount, even though I have never proved to anybody that I am any good at this level. I understand getting what you can, but today its all about me! Its greed!

Would you take $1 million if you knew that you could get $3 million instead? These guys know they can make more money if they play the game that everyone else is playing, so why wouldn't they. My guess is that there isn't a person alive that would pass up on the extra $2 million just out of principle. Next time you change jobs if they offer say $50,000 a year why don't you tell them that you'll work for $40,000 until you have proved yourself in your new job.

Its also about pride. Everyone wants to be the highest paid player or wants to get more money becuase it is a status symbol for how good of a player they are. They look at it as a respect thing, the more they get paid the more respect they get.

Im just saying there needs to be a guidline, so it stops the holdouts, and the rediculous rookie contracts.

I think if you were to slot the rookies like they do in the NBA where the first overall pick gets like 3-5% more then the prvious years first pick and then so on down the line you will need to do something about the lack of security with the contracts in the NFL. Either you need to gaurnantee the money or you need to pay more up front. Both systems have flaws and they both have their benefits.

In the NFL you can break apart a bad team and rebuild very quickly because of the ability to void contracts, in the NBA a bad team will be bad for a long time becuase they are stuck with contracts (like the T Wolves).

The other part of it is quality of play, in the NFL you don't get the half hearted effort you do in the NBA beucase the players know that they are playing for that contract every time they suit up.

MAybe there is a balance, where maybe the NFL rookies should come in and just have all the contracts basically sloted based on where you were picked, #1 pick gets the most and each step down the line gets a little less but each pick should know going in to negotiations what the price tag is for their draft number. Then this first rookie contract should be gauranteed. But when you become a free agent or sign an extension that contract goes back to the normal NFL way which is no gauranteed money except maybe a signing bonus.

Quote:

MAybe there is a balance, where maybe the NFL rookies should come in and just have all the contracts basically sloted based on where you were picked, #1 pick gets the most and each step down the line gets a little less but each pick should know going in to negotiations what the price tag is for their draft number. Then this first rookie contract should be gauranteed. But when you become a free agent or sign an extension that contract goes back to the normal NFL way which is no gauranteed money except maybe a signing bonus

Thats exactly what I am talking about, something just like you described. It would take the holdouts out of play, get the rookies in camp.

How many veteran players that are good, are making alot less then unproved rookies just to get them signed.

Quote:

Well a lot of NFL people are saying Adrian is gonna hold out!!

Boo-Yah!

grin.gif