Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Birdmasterfisher

Reefs around Big Island??

19 posts in this topic

My buddies and I are going to be up Begining of Sept. and have been coming up for three years now and started camping on Big Island. Used to fishing small lakes around Alexandria area and when I get up there I kinda get scrambled and second guess myself on my fishing tatics. Just wondering on a few tatics and pointers that I could try around the Big Island Area? Mostly walleye. Any Info greatly appreaciated. Thanks a million

Hi Birdmaster,

Your going to be reef fishing that time of year likely for walleyes. There is some nice structure you will want to comb with your graph. Good electronics are a must up here as the structure is vast. Often times people get overwhelmed looking at all the area to fish. Some are better than others at the elimination process of dead water. These fish will be chasing baitfish, and movements of the eyes will be determined as to where they have pushed the schools of ciscoes as well as other minnows. Good places to start will be on the edges of the reefs. Spinner rigs, jigs, raps, and lindy's will all be turning fish that time of year. Good Fishing!

RD

Thanks for all the info Rainydaze. Its nice to have a website that people will share info on like this one. You know its kinda funny around here how people are a little liplocked. Mabey its the smaller lakes or just not the number of fish. You run deep diving raps or do you run a rap with a bottom bouncer. thanks again

Hey Bird,

In all honesty I'm not a big rapala trolling freak, but with that being said I've landed my share of fish pulling. I personally like to be able to match the rapalas diving capabilities without providing additional weight. If the fish are hugging deep structure not chasing up to depths I can run I personally will utilize other methods of fishing. I do know many will choose to bottom bounce with a long line pulling there raps. One thing to keep in mind is that these eyes in deep water will often be chasing suspended baitfish. I'm sure you'll be able to figure that one out. Good fishing Buddy! Just to let you know I had clients out a couple days ago and we were running raps in 12 feet of water doing real good! Don't forget those weed walleyes! Not all fish gravitate to the reefs with all boats.

RD

hey rainydaze. Thanks for all the info and I will keep taking reports and info as long as you want to keep giving it. So you are a guide up on rainy? maybe when we come up in a month I can meet you. well keep me informed on the bite up there so I kinda can get a pattern down.

Appreaciate everything

David

Hey Bird,

No problem! Yes I am a guide. I'd be happy to take you guys out. If you want more info on guide packages you can email me at mr_rainy1@yahoo.com. I guide on the hardwater also.

RD

Sounds good

By the way rainy did you get my email message

No I didn't receive the email from you bird. Remember to use the underscore after mr

Try it again buddy!

RD

HEY BIRDMASTER,

DO YOU KNOW DICK SIMPSON???

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fishmiester

I know who he is but I never played sports cause it cut into my hunting and fishing. But I beleive he lives in branden about 5 miles east of me.

HI B.M.,

HE GREW UP IN THE SAME TOWN AS UFFDA & I AND IS A GOOD FRIEND OF OURS, I'M WITH YEA ON CUTTING INTO THE FISHING & HUNTING.

SOME OF MY LOCAL FRIENDS UP HERE WANT ME TO TAKE UP GOLFING,

I THINK ABOUT RAINY AT THAT POINT...LAUGH AND SAY NAH, OK MAYBE WHEN I'M A 120...I'LL THINK ABOUT IT. WE LIVE HERE BECAUSE OF RAINY, WHICH YOU CAN'T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE IN THIS WORLD. GOLF COURSES ARE A DIME A DOZEN. I'D RATHER LOSE A FISH & NOT A GOLF BALL...HAVE I TOLD YOU IN THE LAST 24 HOURS HOW MUCH I LOVE LIVING HERE.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Rainy

Ya I forgot the underscore but I think you should get it now. Keep me posted

The Bird

Hey Fishmeister

Ya you guys that live up there have it made. I mean you are living on the best fishery in minnesota and the scenery is awesome up there. I sure here you on the golf thing and it happened to me to. This whole year my buddies have been trying to get me to go golfing and I am not going to miss fishing for something that sounds like to much work. I have already told my wife that if we ever move that I am sure they are looking for Rn's up around that area. I have got a few responses out of her so far. Both good and bad and they were like Well I will either be fishing with you every day or I will never get to see you. Gotta love them. Thats neat that you know Dick Simpson. If he lived up there I dont know what would ever make a person move away from there. Cant wait for the trip up there only 26 more days. Save some fish for me.

P.S. The living up there part hopefully one day I will be saying that too! grin.gif

The Bird

I used to be a big golfer, and grew up in the bowling industry. Had a chance to extend both into college, but decided I like fishing and hunt too much. The difference in my mind is I seldom come off the lake in a bad mood.

RD

I hear that Rainydaze and I can communicate to that. When I was young witch I am not very old I would belly crawl a half mile to shoot ducks or geese and now I see them and admire them.. What a great creature. I love my life and feel so fortunate every day that I wake up. Not to change the subject but last saturday my bosses kid at 25 years young had a brain anurism and her funeral is tomorrow and what a horrible deal. You know it happens all the time but until it hits close to home u dont hear about it. Sad deal there and sorry to anybody that has had to go through with something on that line. Well anyway wqondering if you got my email this time so we can figure something out. Well appericiate everything and hope to hear from you soon.

My prayers are also with the Friends and familys of the bridge collapse

The Bird

Hey Buddy,

Yes I did receive your email, and you have mail.

Sad to hear about the 25 year old. My close family has had something similiar happen to a 22 year old in a freak accident. Makes you sit back and make some decisions on what is important to you sometimes. Like FISHING! Funny as I was on the road all day yesterday fighting traffic and muttering under my breath. I got home and headed out onto the lake with one of my good friends. My first fish was a FAT 27 inch walleye. Thats what it's all about right there. In all honesty I wouldn't have cared last night if I caught a fish as it was so beautiful and so nice compared to the hustle and bustle of the day. Good Fishing Buddy!

RD

Speaking of beautiful. This past Saturday nights sunset on Rainy Lake. Awesome! We were fishing off of Blueberry Island catching walleyes and watching the setting (Red)sun.

Good luck Bird when you are up there. Should be perfect as is any time you are on RL.

Thanks goes out to the Guys here on this forum for the help on our trip again and especially to Bill at RL1S. Cannot say it enough, RL is GREAT! Thanks again.

WG

Hey Rainy.

Yea sometimes you have to sit back and think about how lucky we are and fortunate we are to be living in this awesome state. well I am hoping that I can get the family up there this winter. hopefully in 23 days the fish are still biting up there but I am sure they still will be. Is there any bait up there to be had or should I bring everything but minnows? Man I cant wait to get up there and catch some of them beautiful fish you have up there. Well probabally hear from you soon good fishing.

The Bird